Carpet underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

After some advice on carpet underlay. What is the general consensus for the best carpet underlay in terms of comfort / sound insulation / heat
insulation.

We are looking to re-carpet 4 bedrooms, landing and staircase and I would like to also replace the underlay to help improve comfort / sound insulation / heat insulation.

Appreciate all your comments.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Been doing some research on underlays, yes I know it's sad but it has to be done.

Cloud 9 Cirrus (9mm) or Cumulus (11mm). Some say the 11mm is too thick and can cause problems with the carpet slipping off the gripper rods. Also some have said they have had problems with the paper backing not sticking properly to the underlay causing a cracking effect when walked on.

Others have recommended the Tredaire brand, comes in various thicknesses, 8/9/10/11mm.

Anyone got either of the above brands of underlay. Is 11mm too thick?

When the carpet is installed it is stretched and its the tension that keeps it in place. If its fitted correctly it won't come off - if its not stretched correctly it will lift.
As an alternative look at the Blue Heaven range - its made by the same company as Cloud 9 and has an almost identical constrution.

Sponsored Links
When the carpet is installed it is stretched and its the tension that keeps it in place. If its fitted correctly it won't come off - if its not stretched correctly it will lift.
As an alternative look at the Blue Heaven range - its made by the same company as Cloud 9 and has an almost identical constrution.

Thanks. Looks like the backing of the underlay is not paper, but polyfilm. Is this stuff new out? Looks about the same price as cloud 9?

Now I have a dilemma - Cloud 9 (11mm) or Tredaire Dreamwalk (11mm) or Blue Heaven (11mm).

I am concerned with noises with the paper backed underlay (Cloud 9 and Dreamwalk) so am tempted going for Blue Heaven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back