Carpet with built in underlay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm on a budget (isn't everyone!) and need to replace carpet in a couple of bedrooms, stairs and landing. I've found one I like and it has a felt backing that the salesman says means it doesn't need underlay or grippers - its glued down at the edges instead.

I think I'm okay with this for the bedrooms (light traffic) even though it would make a mess if it needs to come up at any time. I'm not so sure about it for the stairs though. Do any fitters have any thoughts on this? Is one option to fit it on the stairs with a thin underlay and grippers?

I only need it to last 3-4 years while the kids are young as I'll probably put new carpet down then and sell the house...

Many thanks for your help :)

Stu

Sponsored Links
We used to call that 'foamback' carpet. Don’t know if they still do it. We used to have to lay newspaper down before laying to stop it sticking to the floorboards. I think feltback is similar.

As a cheap, short term install, what you have been advised is correct, although feltback carpets can be fitted on on underlay and gripper if you wish. In a busy house hold, felt back fitted directly to the floor is going to look tired when you come to move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back