carpeting computer room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a room I use for a computer den. It has a wooden suspended floor, an old carpet with no underlay, and it faces north. It's pretty cold.

There must, I imagine, be carpet underlays with a good thermal rating? Some advice on this would be appreciated. If the answer is yes, then the underlay plus a new thick carpet should make quite a difference.

However, I found that when I rolled my computer chair forwards and backwards on the existing carpet it rucked up. A sheet of mdf under the chair wheels has fixed this - though it doesn't look too good.and I would prefer to get rid of it if I can.

As it happens we have a very dense carpet tile in the hall (solid floor) and when I rolled my computer chair about on that, they didn't ruck up. I know from reading this forum that if I used carpet tiles I'd need to lay hardboard down first. So my second question is "how much less warm would this combination be than underlay and carpet?".

Sorry to go on: I'm trying to be clear.

Sponsored Links
you dont need to plywood the subfoor if it is smooth and flat. You may be better getting a new carpet with the correct underlay (duralay) and install on a twin stick system instead of stretch fit. You can buy a plastic mat that sits on the carpet for your chair to run over. Think stapels etc sell them.

Hi mattysupra,

Unfortunately the floor boards are in poor condition and will need boarding no matter what carpeting I choose. I'll look around for the plastic mats you mention.

What is the twin stick system? Does it draw the carpets up tightly or what?

Thanks for your reply.

a twin stick system is used in comercial property where wheel chairs etc are being used.

Basically the underlay (special design) is glued to the subfloor and then the carpet is glued to the underlay.

Sponsored Links
Of course, I should have been able to see that. I suspect that this would be an expensive business for a domestic purpose so I'll stick to underlay and carpet in the normal way.

I've been cruising the Web about thermal underlays and it seems that good quality felt would be my best option. I think I'll put hardboard down first to stop draughts. Then the felt and a thickish carpet - plus the clear plastic protector you mentioned - should do the trick.

I'd value your comments on this, please. I'll have a pro do the felt and carpet laying, naturally.

you want to cut heat loss through the floor? what is underneath? is it draughty?

could you take up the floor boards if you felt like it?

JohnD,

Yes, it is draughty. There's a fair void under the boards. I could take up the boards but I think it would have to be really worth while in terms of heat gain.

If it's relevant to what you may be going to suggest, I have four inch skirting boards in the room.

you mean it is a ground floor with a ventilated void underneath?

if you can get at the underside of the floor, you can put insulation between the joists. It will cut heat loss to almost nothing. This can be either by taking up the floorboards or making a hatch and crawling about. If you take up the floorboards and they are in poor condition you can lay a new floor in 18mm WBP ply which is strong and flat. It will cost about £25 for a piece 2400mmx1200mm and you will need basic carpentry tools plus a circular saw.

Never block the airbricks or you will get damp and rot.

Ply over the old boards will stop draughts if you fill all gaps and will also smooth it.

Sorry JohnD, I should have mentioned I have a bungalow with a ventilated void. I'll chew over the idea of underneath insulation. (Don't know why I didn't thing of it myself). The thought of virtually nil heat loss is attractive even if the work involved isn't.

Thanks to you both for your replies. I appreciate your willingness to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back