Carport project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ME AGAIN!

Before getting the driveway done, I'm thinking about a carport - the posts for which will need to be sunk before the drive is laid. Even if the carport isnt built, the posts will still be used for fences and the gates. The fencing material is likely to be simply close board horizontal rails, held in place with galvanized screws.

The boundary wall stands about 4ft high, but its got a slope to it at one end (it twists), so I will need to pack the fence out so it stands over the wall. The wall will be rendered or pointed. The fence wont be attached to the walls at all. Everything attached to the wall currently (see photos) will be removed. I cannot afford to rebuild the wall, so this will be a prevervation project!

Attached is a plan of the carport:

carport.jpg

The post along the left side cannot go centrally due to the gates being there.

The carport would stand about 7ft high, with the fencing ending around 6ft6, creating a 6 inch gap between the fence and the roof, which I might fill in with trellis etc.

I intend to purchase 9ft posts. The site is sloping by about a foot in total from a high point on the right, to a low point on the left, and I intend to slope the roof from a high point at the top of the diagram, to a low point at the bottom of the diagram, so the gutter will go along the long side of the structure.

How deep should the posts be buried for a car port? (They will be concreted in) My worry is with rot on the posts where they are under the drive. Is there any other method I could use to secure the posts to the ground?

What roofing material would you use? I'm thinking corrugated clear polycarbonate, but I know that gets filthy and brittle, especially when kids throw bricks at it. Would I be better off with a felt roof? I really only want it to keep the frost off the car. Are there any other plastic products available? I notice corrugated poly is available in different thicknesses.

What size timbers would you use for the two main cross members (with the 4m spans) and the perimeter beam? And what size posts? And what size joists?

As I said, I might not actually build the carport, but I want the posts there for the fencing anyway, and I need them to be specc'd for the carport.

Thanks.

Anyone used this supplier?

Photos of site attached here:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back