Front Elevation - Carport and Building Inside it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I think I need planning permission for this:

Carport built over driveway, which is in front of the front door but to the side. I am aware of the various height restrictions. Picture attached

Plan is to built a shed and small work out room within the area of the car port (half of the port isn't being used and is dead space). Upon research I believe this would need planning permission due to it being in the front elevation of the house, questions would be:

Could I simply move the fence over 2 meters to reestablish the boundary of the rear garden? This would mean I put the fence on the opposite side of the carport. Silly I know but could work?!

The fact that the house is on a private road, does this alter the need for planning permission and the legal need to establish the front elevation?

If it's a flat roof I believe I can build right up against an adjoining garden without needing a 2m space?

If the carport didn't have planning permission, isn't this a can of worms if I apply to build something in something that may not have permission to be there? Carport was installed early 2021 when we moved in, by a builder who was contracted to the housing developers (we didn't for it).

The house is a new build. The developers built the carport for us after the sale of the property (this was a condition of us buying it) and I'm pretty certain they did not gain planning permission for it, wouldn't they have needed to bearing in mind a carport is an outbuilding for front elevation planning permissions?

Thanks very much for looking and any help is hugely appreciated. My thoughts are to pay the £250 for the planning permission and bearing in mind it's a private road and small building in an existing carport it should not cause a huge issue.

Attachments

• House_Redacted.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
If your genuinely just wanting to out up a wooden structure forna home gym and it will be within the confines of the existing carport I'd just get on with it

Hi thanks for the reply. As we don't plan to live here for decades I have concerns with selling and a buyers solicitor asking difficult questions as much as I do the short term of a planning agent getting wind...

A home gym in basically a wooden shed would add zero value to your home so just take it down when your ready to sell, unless you really mean you want to bodge up an extra room in the easiest fashion without planning to increase the house value which is totally different

Sponsored Links
Well it would be done nicely, insulated and waterproofed with electricity. Would certainly be a room rather than a shed despite what I'd actually use it for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back