Cars with no noise.

Sponsored Links
I do a lot of cycling and know a lot of cyclists, and I have never heard anyone come up with that nonsense before.

EVs, are indistinguishable from ICE vehicles until they are passing. Tyre noise is the first sound you hear when a vehicle is coming from behind.

They really need to stop clowns fitting extra loud exhaust systems, remove the driving licence from anyone who alters their cars to purposefully backfire on the over-run, and also ban very low profile tyres (as they are also excessively noisy)

Cars need to start being a hell of a lot less anti social. CO2 causing global warming, all manner of toxins that are destroying our health, the inability of people being able to drive them properly causing astonishing death and serious injury, globally 1.35 million deaths per year, 50 million seriously injured (50% are pedestrians or cyclists). This utterly ludicrous form of transport needs to end.

Well you have now! You see? Stick around and you might learn something. Unfortunately, you're so set in your blinkered hate-filled MIMBYism, that I very much doubt you can see anyone's point of view but your own.

Come to think of it, you never did answer my question as to whether you have a car... did you...?

Cars need to produce high frequency sounds to warn nearby pedestrians while not increasing sound pollution further out.

Internet: In orchestras or bands, flutes are always placed at the front of the wind sections and the tubas are placed in the very back. According to conductors, the reason for this is because higher pitched instruments, like the flute, produce pitches that do not carry as far as the sounds of a lower instrument.

Cars need to produce high frequency sounds to warn nearby pedestrians while not increasing sound pollution further out.

Internet: In orchestras or bands, flutes are always placed at the front of the wind sections and the tubas are placed in the very back. According to conductors, the reason for this is because higher pitched instruments, like the flute, produce pitches that do not carry as far as the sounds of a lower instrument.
The human ear is most sensitive to sound frequencies around 1 kHz. A mixture of frequencies is "white noise", which we seem to be particularly able to use in order to detect the position of something. Possibly some throwback from our cave-dwelling days. A twig snapping, is a good example of "white noise". Handy to know where the dinosaur is, before it gets you. These days, it's why ambulances make that sot of "crackly" background noise as they approach junctions.

So if you want people to be aware of your presence, sounds around 1kHz are what you need. If you want them to know whereabouts you are, "white noise" gives them the best chance.

Sponsored Links
Well you have now! You see? Stick around and you might learn something. Unfortunately, you're so set in your blinkered hate-filled MIMBYism, that I very much doubt you can see anyone's point of view but your own.

Come to think of it, you never did answer my question as to whether you have a car... did you...?
I see and understand lots of other peoples points of views, and I can also spot a petrol head from a mile off. What total and utter tosh that cyclists in general want cars to make more noise! (at least outside of car parks) Even the EV's make enough road noise to be fully aware they are inbound.

I jave made it very clear in many other threads where you have been involved that I am also a driver. (just yesterday in predicting the road ahead, not using the brakes and achieving high mpg. (i think you were banging on about track days)

I have never personally owned a car, but have owned many vans and lorries since being a teenager. Although that is a little ingenuous as my wife has always had cars that I regularly drive (so I know how crap modern cars are becoming). Sadly our society is built around car ownership so we have to take part whether we like it or not. And this needs to change, we are destroying our environment with this obsession with the motor car.

Last edited:
I see and understand lots of other peoples points of views, and I can also spot a petrol head from a mile off. What total and utter tosh that cyclists in general want cars to make more noise! (at least outside of car parks) Even the EV's make enough road noise to be fully aware they are inbound.

I jave made it very clear in many other threads where you have been involved that I am also a driver. (just yesterday in predicting the road ahead, not using the brakes and achieving high mpg. (i think you were banging on about track days)

I have never personally owned a car, but have owned many vans and lorries since being a teenager. Although that is a little ingenuous as my wife has always had cars that I regularly drive (so I know how crap modern cars are becoming). Sadly our society is built around car ownership so we have to take part whether we like it or not. And this needs to change, we are destroying our environment with this obsession with the motor car.

Sorry, but where did I say "cyclists in general"? I was quite clear in what I said, but as you seem a little "hard of reading" I'll reproduce it here for you with a bit of bold to emphasise it:

"Riding my pushbike round Cumbria's rural lanes, I usually wish cars would make more noise than they currently do!"

That is my position. You can try to gaslight me into believing that I made a claim on behalf of cyclists in general, (or, perhaps, that this is not actually my wish), but I think we both know it's not going to work! ;)

And yes, I know full well that you're a driver. I just wanted everyone to see your hypocrisy. And yes, I remember you bragging about 60 MPG, and was going to mention that I too, can get 60 MPG out of my car, (despite being a "petrolhead" as you seem to wish to paint me), so you're really not that special. However, it wasn't relevant to the thread so I didn't. The fact that you drive someone else's car makes not one jot of different to the environmental damage it does. Put your own house in order and then come and lecture us on the evils of the motor car. Until you do that, you're just another NIMBY who wants to be able to drive but doesn't want anyone else to.

They really need to stop clowns fitting extra loud exhaust systems, remove the driving licence from anyone who alters their cars to purposefully backfire on the over-run, and also ban very low profile tyres (as they are also excessively noisy)

That is unburnt fuel, which has deliberately passed through the engine, then once in the exhaust is ignited. Just a waste of fuel, poisoning the environment.

And yes, I know full well that you're a driver. I just wanted everyone to see your hypocrisy. And yes, I remember you bragging about 60 MPG, and was going to mention that I too, can get 60 MPG out of my car, (despite being a "petrolhead" as you seem to wish to paint me), so you're really not that special. However, it wasn't relevant to the thread so I didn't. The fact that you drive someone else's car makes not one jot of different to the environmental damage it does. Put your own house in order and then come and lecture us on the evils of the motor car. Until you do that, you're just another NIMBY who wants to be able to drive but doesn't want anyone else to.
I am lost as to where the hypocrisy is ?

As I have pointed out to you many times I would like to see less car use, cars driven slower, and cars being smaller and more economical. The roads need to be for everyone, not just for people who want to drive fast.

We need to move away from what we are doing now and move towards a more sustainable transport system. For about the past century our infrastructure has been built around owning a car, so sadly it is quite difficult not to own one. And anyone trying, for instance, using a bicycle for local journeys has to endure selfish idiots in stupidly oversized cars who won't slow down etc.

Thankfully things are changing, new 20mph speed limits and recent changes to the highway code giving a hierarchy of road users (with the most vulnerable being at the top) are steps in the right direction - we just need to get the police to start enforcing it.

I would just love not to need to drive locally, but on our lawless roads that is not always an option.

Thankfully things are changing, new 20mph speed limits and recent changes to the highway code giving a hierarchy of road users (with the most vulnerable being at the top) are steps in the right direction - we just need to get the police to start enforcing it.

I would just love not to need to drive locally, but on our lawless roads that is not always an option.

+1

Yes because the roads are strewn with deaf people who didn’t hear the car coming .Maybe they looked ?

Yes because the roads are strewn with deaf people who didn’t hear the car coming .Maybe they looked ?
Why would people look if they can't hear anything? Human ears are fixed forwards. Noises from behind, especially white noise that blends into the background, are blocked or not registered. I used to sleep using white nose play back in a noisy place.

I am lost as to where the hypocrisy is ?

As I have pointed out to you many times I would like to see less car use, cars driven slower, and cars being smaller and more economical. The roads need to be for everyone, not just for people who want to drive fast.

We need to move away from what we are doing now and move towards a more sustainable transport system. For about the past century our infrastructure has been built around owning a car, so sadly it is quite difficult not to own one. And anyone trying, for instance, using a bicycle for local journeys has to endure selfish idiots in stupidly oversized cars who won't slow down etc.

Well, as YOU'RE the one moaning about it, YOU can start by doing YOUR bit, in setting an example and stopping YOUR car use! Personally, I don't have much of a problem with motorists when I'm on my pushbike (but of course, you're now going to go off on one, berate me for something I never said, and accuse me of speaking for all cyclists). I do try and keep as far left as I can when I'm on my bike, so maybe that has something to do with it?

And yes, the car has transformed the way we live. It has given us choices. It has relieved the pressure on housing in cities, This, in turn, has made many otherwise completely rural areas viable places to live, because they have enough people in them to support hospitals and schools. The place I live, is a case in point. It was haemorrhaging people after the war. The first stage was to allow people to still live there but commute. The second stage (which I welcome) will be the rise of home-working. This will retain many of the benefits AND reduce car use (which, I do agree, has to happen).

It will not surprise you to learn that my views on the new Highway Code changes are a cynical move to use pedestrians and cyclists as pawns in the war against the vehicle user. I think it's only a matter of time before a pedestrian is killed or seriously injured "asserting their new right" to walk across a junction. The car closest to them will stop in the carriageway and the one behind will shunt it into the pedestrian. Of course, it will be "the motorist's fault" (it always is :rolleyes: ), but that will be cold comfort to the pedestrian and he next of kin. Meanwhile, in busy city centres, the more or less continuous flow of pedestrians will simply add to the existing gridlock, thereby creating the perfect excuse for yet more anti-car measures. It's the gift that keeps on giving to the enforcement authorities!

As for the rise of 20 MPH limits, let's see how Wales gets on, shall we? Over the last decade (apart from the Covid lockdowns), there has been practically no reduction in road deaths and serious injuries, despite the massive rise in automated speed limit enforcement AND subsequent lowering of a great many speed limits, yet all you can think of, is "more of the same"! Don't you think we should maybe try to look at WHY the medicine isn't working before increasing the dose yet again?

Why would people look if they can't hear anything? Human ears are fixed forwards. Noises from behind, especially white noise that blends into the background, are blocked or not registered. I used to sleep using white nose play back in a noisy place.
That's pretty much the exact opposite of what happens...

Well, as YOU'RE the one moaning about it, YOU can start by doing YOUR bit, in setting an example and stopping YOUR car use! Personally, I don't have much of a problem with motorists when I'm on my pushbike (but of course, you're now going to go off on one, berate me for something I never said, and accuse me of speaking for all cyclists). I do try and keep as far left as I can when I'm on my bike, so maybe that has something to do with it?

As for the rise of 20 MPH limits, let's see how Wales gets on, shall we? Over the last decade (apart from the Covid lockdowns), there has been practically no reduction in road deaths and serious injuries, despite the massive rise in automated speed limit enforcement AND subsequent lowering of a great many speed limits, yet all you can think of, is "more of the same"! Don't you think we should maybe try to look at WHY the medicine isn't working before increasing the dose yet again?
we have personally chosen smaller very economical vehicles, and drive them as frugally as possible, we also use public transport whenever practical to do so. 2 train journeys 4 bus journes this week.

car enthusiasts often come out with that one ... i suppose it' a pleasant way of telling cyclists to keep out of their way, I'm sure there are plenty who believe they are fantastic drivers and could whizz past with inches to spare in the greatest safety - LOL

Because it is not being enforced!

At the end of the day you want to drive fast and I would like to see the laws observed - so we're never going to see eye to eye.

The deaf have no choice but to look otherwise there wouldn’t be any.

Sponsored Links
Back