carving large tree stump - which tools?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a softwood tree cut down to approx 10 foot, with a chair shape roughed out by the tree surgeon. I want to shape it - taking out up to 6" in places - mostly in the internal chair space.
I'm not going to use a chainsaw - never used one before, difficult access.
I've looked at the scary attachments for minigrinders: woodsaw disks, chainsaw disks, and decided against those on safety grounds, and having seen someone using an arbortech grinder I'm inclined not to try that either.
My jigsaw isn't really up to it, and I can't get it into the corners.

I've had some success with a sharp chisel (wood is still green), but there's a lot to remove so it'll take a long time, especially with grain running all over the place, and I've got a cheap multitool from screwfix, which I'm sure will help.

Any other ideas?

Cheers,

Stephen

Sponsored Links
There s a reason all of this work is done with chainsaws.

Any sort of plunge cut or cuts into corners is almost impossible with other tools.

Please please steer clear of any electrical tool with a rotating blade or tool without a clutch.

A good quality pruning saw like a silky may be of good use buy will be pretty labouriuos and very hard into the corners.

Whilst it may seem daunting a small 10'' light chainsaw is ironically probably safer if you work carefully and methodically than the wrong tools.

Thanks, yes, helpful - I think I'll call in a (professional) friend with a small electric chainsaw for a couple of hours of paid work.

Sponsored Links
Another option would be to drill out the bulk of the stump using a corded drill and say a one inch bit ( not a flat bit) and clean up with your chisels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back