Cast iron fireplace with crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are redecorating a bedroom and there is a fireplace in it that was obviously going to be replaced as a feature but previous owner never got round to. He has had the thing mostly cleaned (a bit of old plaster and some paint left on it) but the thing has a crack in it that is about 30-40 cms in length and maybe 1-2 mm in width at the worst place.

What should I fill it with as i am intending to black it up afterwards and don't want the filler to come up a different shade if I can help it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi Jingles,
Personally I would fill the gap with Chemical Metal, the type of stuff you get in 2 tubes, mix them to activate, then fill the gap. Make sure you get all or most of the excess off while it is still wet because it's a bugger to sand down.
I would, when dry and you are happy with the filling, go over the whole thing with black grate polish and buff it up.
Should look ok.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back