Cast iron rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anybody help me identify if the attached rad is a cast iron or steel radiator? Its from my old place and they such a good job at heating that I am wanting the same or similar.

Thanks

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
If they were efficient then probably cast iron , have one in the lounge as they are very efficient for such a small footprint .

All depends on the setting... your photo depicts a setting that would bug the hell out of me as it looks odd protruding above the window sill/cill!

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't want traditional cast iron radiators in a modern house. They won't look right, are far more expensive, and the performance is debatable.

If you have a very grand period house then cast iron radiators are essential, otherwise you'll get fantastic output from a modern radiator for a fraction of the cost.

Definitely Cast iron - the giveaway is in the legs.

Cast iron rads have a longer heat up time due to the larger water content and the higher specific heat of the large mass of the iron. Equally a longer cool down time.

Lower heat output for the size. If you must buy them then carefully look at the heat output on the specs.

I have seen people buy used ones and then become unhappy with the lower heat output than they expected.

Tony

Thanks all. Its for a 1900 cottage style house with a mix of single and double panels at the moment. Hoping to change them all out over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back