cast iron radiator leaking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Have recently bought a cast iron radiator that was supposed to have been pressure tested. But when it has been installed a small pit mark started blowing water out. It is going to be a bit of a hassle to sort this out from where i bought it from so was wondering if there is any tried and tested method of repairing it. The thing is about 2 metres long by 2 foot high so weighs a bloody ton so don't really want to be taking it anywhere either if i can help it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thats one of the problems with buying second hand!

I would drill and tap it to 4 mm or larger if that gave an adequate depth of metal.

Then use a stainless screw and use araldite under/over the head.

Tried but not guaranteed. There is another square metre or so of rad surface to start to leak!

Tony

I assume the OP means a sectional radiator, in which case simply take the damaged section out and remake the rad, unless it the end section.

Sponsored Links
Assuming the leak is in the midde then there could be about 6-10 sections to be removed and resealed.

As it could be up to 50 years old I suspect at least one of the couplers will be rusted solid.

Even if he did manage that the trauma might mean that he has two new pinhold leaks when he has finished!

The OP has 3 options:
1. Try what Tony has suggested.
2. Bring it back and get a refund.
3. Or scrap it and fit a new rad.

Andy

Thanks for all the advice it's a 4 column rad so the hole isn't easily accessible have been reading up on jb weld does anyone have any thoughts on using an epoxy to seal it.

Devcon epoxy putty is actually amazing stuff - I've plugged a frost cracked cylinder block from an old Fergie with it. 3 years and still holding!
Much depends on how you can prepare the surrounding area though.
Cast iron can be bronze welded easily enough, and I'd do that if possible.
John :)

would a local welding firm be able to do the bronze welding do you think?

Any old timer with oxy acetylene gear would give it a go assuming that the hole is reasonably accessible. He'll use a huge nozzle with an excess of acetylene, and he may prefer to drill the hole out a little to flow the bronze in.

Any old timer with oxy acetylene gear would give it a go assuming that the hole is reasonably accessible. He'll use a huge nozzle with an excess of acetylene, and he may prefer to drill the hole out a little to flow the bronze in.
I`d almost forgotten about the exess acet. :oops: Why are all these posters nowhere near $ussex -I could earn a few xtra bob ;)

I would suggest that it's cracked and not a hole. :rolleyes:

For Agiles benefit, you can take any section out without disturbing the others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back