Cast Iron Rads Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I have some cast iron school rads, I have had to have them shot blasted to clean them up, but in doing so it has blasted the boss white/whatever the equivalent was back then between the bars, does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can buy a tool for splitting the rads. I have used lsx, tried caulking the joint with Loktite threadtape and used a CH leak sealer but there is always small leaks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

V

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about the joints between the sections/columns then you are probably on a hiding to nothing in trying to get hold of the tool to remove the nipples. IMHO the rads are probably past their sell-by date and any attempt at a repair would be fruitless. Sorry! :(

alenvb the last time i assembled new cast rads i hired the tool from city plumbing it will be a pain to undo a little heat will loosen the boss white
new connections are dry and use washers only wish you luck

Don't use any heat on the section you will not need it. You will however need heat to get the bush out of one end, then you will need to determine if they are 1" or 11/4" nipples.

Has the rads got feet.

Before you start look at the plug in the top and remove it, hopefully it will be an left hand thread, then take the the bush out that end at the bottom the same way.

Having determined which end is left hand you can mark the bar at the center of the 2 two section, slide it through the ports and give it a good shark push, as soon as it goes take the bar out and do the other one, then undo both a bit at a time.

to replace clean both surfaces and use an new washer, and torqu it up 150 psi from memory but I will check later.

Sponsored Links
mhsrads001.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back