Cast Iron Rad Plug Removal (Tips Needed!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In the process of restoring some old cast iron rads, I have shot blasted them and got most of the old plugs out but a few just won't shift!? They seem to be crumbling rather than coming loose, there is nothing to say they have been machanically fixed as I have drilled one out?

I have tried penetrating oil, 2ft Stillsons with 15 stone on the end of them, pipe grips, MAP torch to heat surrounding area with no luck, I have had to drill out one plug and air chisel it out but this is gong to go horribly wrong and I can see me cracking rads :rolleyes:

Any ideas please, I wanted to get the plugs out whole, but considered welding a long piece of iron onto the plugs to give me a longer leverage?

Help!

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember that some cast iron rads had "false" plugs cast into them. Not this type you are trying to remove are they?

I seem to remember that some cast iron rads had "false" plugs cast into them. Not this type you are trying to remove are they?

All the plug come out.

Two tips :rolleyes:

Plenty of heat around the fitting

Do the rads have legs on the end sections, if so they will be right hand thread, if not the end with the plug will be left hand thread.

Pic of the rads would be handy, ( the end on section)

Rads with legs and four columns, typical school type, I have sprayed again with penetrating oil and will give it a week to soak in with daily doses and then try again with the MAP torch!

Sponsored Links
I remember having to get a bush out of a Mexico once or was it an e-type, anyways I used a hacksaw blade and cut out a section of the bush from the inside (yes be careful!) then caved it in using the stillys. Worked a treat and was the only way it was coming out.

Stan

Penetrating oil will do nothing, heat around the fitting is all it needs, plus you could gentle tap the end of the fitting with an hammer

Dont be shy with the heat Mapp gas and REALLY get them HOT !!!
A very large adjustable spanner and a length of tube to extend it combined with ****ting the plug with a hammer!!!!
Only hit the plug as its malleable iron the rad will will crack if you hit it!!

Tip!!! Try moving both ways until it loosens!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back