Cast Iron Soil Stack problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a cast iron soil stack which has a leak, at the joint where the pipe branches out to come inside the bathroom to the WC. There is a tiny plant growing out of the joint!

How can i disassemble the pipe to remove the plant?
Can the same pipes be cleaned and the joint re-made, or do i have to buy new pipes to go from the branch into the house?

Cheers
Stu

Sponsored Links
You cant disassemble the stack without breaking it.Remove what you can of plant and use a tin of `Cromapol`to stop leak. Available at most builders` yards. Applies with a brush and seals small cracks/leaks. Use a wire brush to clean area of pipe first.

The plant will most likely be a budleah (sp). I have had to take these out and my record is sixty feet of root. Get ist out as soon as pos.

Sponsored Links
The plant will most likely be a budleah (sp). I have had to take these out and my record is sixty feet of root. Get ist out as soon as pos.

If you starve it of sunlight by removing what you can and sealing over it, photosynthesis will not occur driving the plant to die or find sunlight elsewhere. :D

Not only plumbers on here but Fekkin` gardeners to boot!:cool:

Animals eat to get food, but green plants make their own food. The process plants use is called photosynthesis. We say that plants can photosynthesise.

These are the things that plants need for photosynthesis:

carbon dioxide
water
light

These are the things that plants make because of photosynthesis:

glucose
oxygen

We can show photosynthesis as this word equation:

carbon dioxide water (+ light energy) glucose oxygen

(Light energy is shown in brackets because it is not a substance.)

This is the symbol equation for photosynthesis:

Where does this process take place in the plant?

Photosynthesis takes place in the chloroplasts in plant cells. Chloroplasts contain a green substance called chlorophyll. This absorbs the light energy needed to make photosynthesis happen. Plants can only photosynthesise in the light.

Palisade cells in leaves have lots of chloroplasts

Plants get carbon dioxide from the air through their leaves, and water from the ground through their roots.

Light energy comes from the sun.

The glucose produced can be turned into other substances, such as starch, which is used for storage. The oxygen produced is released into the air from the leaves

Just spray it with a strong mix of Roundup (or Resolva if you can get it...), that'll sort it ;) In fact as it's only a small amount poking out, I'd use a paint brush and paint it on neat. You'd be surprised how effective that stuff is...

Leave it for a week or so to take effect (it'll make it's way to the roots and kill the plant from there) then chop off what's poking out and seal up

Think it`s all been covered their sweetie. ;) Put kettle on, make the lads a drink, eh?

i'll spray some roundup on it today and see what happens.

why will it most likely be budleah?

whats denso tape?

Denso tape is a grease covered wrap. You use rubber gloves to apply it and it seals wholes in lots of things but works ecellently on cas iron stacks.....if the whole is small paint it....if not use denso......it can be applied to tight/unusually shaped joints fairly easily

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back