Cat-6 multimedia cabling and an itegrated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've posted already about aspects of my problem :

My daughter has just moved into an apartment which is stated to have Cat-6 multimedia cabling and an integrated sound system. Unfortunately apart from that I have no other information regarding all the installed equipment and how it is meant to work. There are several boxes which I don't understand the purpose of, speakers and strange multimedia switches in every room etc - I'll post some photos below.

The most immediate problem I have is that there is a Rako RCp07 wireless switch in the lounge and it is not switching one bank of lights that it is meant to control. Does anyone know where the wireless signal from the switch is received to do the actual circuit switching ?

Some kind of network box - closed and open views :

Don't know what this box is for :

Speakers and switches I don't understand in every room :

Huge amounts of multimedia connections in every room :

Even in the bathroom !

A door video entry system - I don't know if this is connected to the network in any way. It doesn't work ( completely "dead" and I can't even see where it's powered from ) :

I'd be very grateful if anyone can advise me where I should start to look to see if I can at least get the wireless Rako switch to operate the bank of lighting it is not switching at the moment. Also, where are the lighting dimmers that this Rako wireless switch controls likely to be located ?

Any information regarding what all the other mutlimedia connections could be used to do would also be very gratefully received !

Thanks ! . :confused:

Sponsored Links
Does your daughter own or rent this place?
What do the boxes you have picturered say on them?
Is your daughter the first occupant or has someone lived there before.

Whatever it is it looks rather a mess, I wonder if the system has been messed with at some point.

She has bought the apartment and it appears that the vendor is not very interested in providing information. It was built a few years ago. I believe there was a tenant in there for a while but I don't believe the system has been messed with - It's basically as installed.

To be honest I'm not too concerned for the moment about all the multimedia junk (although it seems a shame to have all this stuff and not know how to use it).

I'd be happy if I could just get the wireless switch to switch the one bank of lighting it is failing to operate...... :cry:

I do not understand what the advantage of making a fixed switch on a wall wireless was meant to be ! . :rolleyes:

I'd start by looking for model numbers on the stuff you can see to see if you can nail down what each item is and if one of them is likely to be your receiver.

I'd also look for anything that looks like it might open a hidden compartment in the building.

But it's perfectly possible the receiver is hidden somewhere totally inaccessible like above a ceiling.

It's also possible that some boxes related to the system were taken away by previous owners/tennants.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies - I don't believe that anything has been taken away. I think it is possible that the wireless receiver unit I'm looking for might be somewhere above the ceiling - I just don't know. It would help if I knew what I was looking for ! :confused:

The rako kit has recievers that look identical to ELV lighting transformers - several can be coded the same so one switch operates several lights. Are they downlights that are not working? Look behind them ;)

If it is fixed lights like pendents or fancy drops etc, you would hope they placed the controlers (recievers) for them somewhere accessible.

Each reciever can switch upto 500w, so one will likely do a run a lights.

rako_products.gif

The install looks a mess - nothing is level!

The inside of the patch panel is a mess too!

Thanks for your post.

I'll explore further this afternoon and see if I can locate the receiver for the lighting that doesn't switch on.

Three banks of downlighters work OK ( buttons 1 to 3 on the wireless switch ) but the lighting that doesn't work is the "mood lighting" above the coving.

I agree that the installation looks like it was thrown in ! - I will level the plates up myself when I get time. Eventually I might even manage to figure out what all this multimedia stuff is for as well ! . :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back