Cat flap through wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1930's semi and want to fit a cat flap through the outside wall of the house. What is the construction of the wall - is it just brick, is there a cavity? Also what tools would I need to make enough space in the wall, do I just chisel the bricks out?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
It will be a cavity wall, just a matter of knocking a suitable sized hole through it, hammer and chisel springs to mind in the absence of an SDS plus with roto stop and appropriate steels.

Can't you put it in a door?
Wall construction most likely 2 skins of masonry -brick/block inner - with uninsulated 50mm cavity, overall thickness 250mm.
In terms of forming the hole a bolster chisel and lump hammer will do the job but be careful where you place the hole, depending on the size of the flap [making allowance for lining the aperture], you want to set it to go through mortar joints where possible and as few bricks as you can to prevent crumbling or shaling them off at awkward angles. A mortar saw might be a worthwhile hire to take out the area you need to help make a cleaner cut down a brick with the bolster chisel.
For the size of a cat flap a lintel won't be necessary but you will need to line the opening with marine/external grade ply or similar [or your cat might drop dead things down the cavity!]
Finish the inside off with some architrave around the opening.
Beware, if you get this wrong you could just end up with a costly big hole to put right.
So again, put it in a door if remotely possible!

Thanks for the advice. I've got another post up about putting it through the door. It's a UPVC one with moulding on the outside, so I guessing not as easy as cutting a hole in one with flat plastic. I might just buy a new door!

Sponsored Links
You can get cat flaps for UPVC doors, it would be easier than putting it in the wall - can cut through it by drilling a hole at each corner and joining them up with a hacksaw. Better with that method I think. Good luck

I have put a catflap in a upvc panel before.
Put it in the one that is already in the door and make sure it is marked out correctly before you cut.
Measure twice cut once is the motto.
Like some one else has said: Drill a hole at each corner and then use a metal blade in a jig saw to cut through the panel.
It aint just plastic, it has a layer of steel inside it.
once the hole is cut the 2 halves of the catflap go each side of the hole and screw together.
Then it needs a bit of silicone sealer around the outside edge to make sure its water tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back