CAT4 Network Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been given a box of Cat4 network cable. Will this be ok for my home network or should i really be using cat5? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cat4 was only briefly used as a standard, and will limit the data

Cat4 rate 20mps

Cat5 rate 100Mhz

If you are going to be using the internet a lot for data transfer and have more than one PC/Laptop connected i would recommend Cat5

Karl.

***Removed***

What brand is the cable?

Good brands of cable such as belden / excel / nexans / panduit manufacture cable so it exceeds standards such as TIA and ISO/EN standards.

Over a short run say 10 - 20 meters I have little doubt that the cable would not pass CAT5e certification meaning it will support 1000Base-T.

I'd say whether you use it should depend on the difficulty of the install. If you intend to chase it into walls etc, I would go out and buy some new cable. If however, you are just tucking it under carpets etc the CAT4 will more than likely be fine.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back