Caulk for Skirting Board Gap but should I paint ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted some pre finished skirting board and although the job looks OK there are a few gaps. Particularly along the wall. But for those and corner joints I am torn between using caulk and sealant.

If I apply caulk can i leave and not paint, being prefinished skirting of course, and will it maintain its white colour or should I apply a narrow brushed satin white onto the caulk ?

Or will white sealing do the same job without painting ? I suspect that when I do get round to having to paint the skirting in the future the sealant will have discouloured anyway and be hard to paint.

Ideally I'd like to fill the small gaps and just leave it without painting but again, concerned that whatever I use will discolour over time

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks fp....

I've decided to pint the caulk after all. Be a bit fiddly especially on the mitre joints where I'l use satin gloss to match the pre finished skirting. I'll use the wall paint to cover the small cracks between skirt and wall. I'll "borrow" one of my daughters tiny art brushes....mind you they are 10 times the cost of a quality paint brush......

Sponsored Links
If you use silicone it may look OK at first but it will cause you trouble when next you paint.
Acrylic is the way to go look for a paintable bathroom sealant not silicone so you can paint it in the end but it will last longer white than normal caulk that absorbs dirt like a sponge.
This sort of thing.https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Kitchen+Bathroom-Acrylic-Sealant---White-310ml/p/156661

Some acrylic sealants go rock hard over time. Whilst that wouldn't necessarily be a problem in this case if you want a paintable sealant that remains as flexible as silicone but that can be painted over, use a MS polymer such as CT1 or SikaFlex. A word of caution, although the makers say that they can be over painted, they omit to mention that you normally need to use a waterbased undercoat before applying any oil based coatings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back