caulk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I just bought a tube of caulk from B&Q and an aplicator thingy but when I try to smooth it out with gloves on it makes a very rough finish.
If I do it without gloves what can I use to get it of my hands and nails or can I sand it smooth when it drys?
thankyou
Cynthia

Sponsored Links
It is (should be!) water based.

Use a wet finger, or a damp cloth.

Once it's dries you can't sand it.

Wash it off your hands before it drys.

You can try and trim it with a sharp Stanley blade, watch your fingers.

Sponsored Links
Hot soapy water will bring it off no problem. Keep rubbing your fingers as you do it !

If it's caulk it will be water based, as mentioned. Soak your hands in warm water and it will rub/peel off easily.

If you don't want to get it on your hands in future you can use a damp sponge to smooth it out. Just use a dense foam one rather than the 'holy' type. (I don't mean a church-going one, joe ;) ) Otherwise, keep a damp rag to hand to wipe off what you get on your fingers straight away.

EDIT:Sorry Robbie, was typing at time of your post.

Thankyou all
The 18 months really made me panic.
going to stop now and whatch some telly with my hands in a bowl of warm soapy water
Cynthia

Alternatively, coat both hands liberally in caulk, allow to dry and you'll never need to buy rubber gloves ever again! :LOL:

Thankyou all
The 18 months really made me panic.
going to stop now and whatch some telly with my hands in a bowl of warm soapy water
Cynthia

He was winding you up..!

It's just like getting gloss paint on your hands, it doesn't come off straight away but does within a few days.

Maybe I should of said that..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back