caulking where tile meets bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished tiling the bathroom and would like some advice about caulking over where the tiles meet the bathtub.

I bought the caulking strip from focus and basically just stick them on the tiles and then the bath. My concern is that in between the tiles (grout line) there is a small indentation and I can't get the strip to stick very well in between. Is this ok though ? or while water slip though.

I wonder if the adhesive on the caulking strip are water proof as well ?

Thanks for reading. If it helps I will post some pictures

Sponsored Links
Xytreme

The question is why are you using a caulking strip? My experience of these are not good, they never fit properly, and are prone to leaking underneath. Also the mitre joint needed at the corner is a horrible sight

If your gap is small enough then use a sealant, once smoothed with a damp finger it is a lovely finish. Buy a quality one though - some of the cheap ones are prone to discolour.

If you are determined to use the strip then I would suggest that the point where the strip meets the grout lines need to be flat for the strip to stick properly.

the bath initially had a plastic bit which curled downward to the bath however with time, a small hole developed between them and the bath. I tried silicon sealant on them but i think the gap is too big and it makes the area messy hence my choice for a caulking strip.

I hope it will at least last for a few years before I need it redoing . My only concern is at the grout line where you can actually see a bit of space where water might leak through

Each to their own, but most on here i'm sure would recommend filling the bath up with water first, and then use a good quality sanitary silicone sealant to seal between the tiles and the edge of the bath. Leave it to cure say overnight, empty the bath in the morning and that's it. With caulking strips or plastic trims although they sound good on paper, once water penetrates behind them, there finished, but with silicone, if properly and neatly applied, it not only looks good, but is also "guaranteed" to stop water from going down between the tiles and the side of the bath.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
as usual mr RC is spot on, throw the strip in the bin fella, if the gap is large, move the bath.

Lots of good information provided for the enquirer. It is tempting, in my opinion, to try to cover a larger than normal gap, with these stick on plastic strips but, they are never satisfactory. At one time (I think) they were all you could get until Dow Corning started to market their silicone sealant and made it available to the DIY market. Could you not put a spacer, timber or finely cut tile sections, into the gap, and seal with silicone? Also, the tile manufacturers do a very good range of tile quadrants and these look much better than the plastic strips.

Yes, that can be tricky.. However, when I fitted mine, I glued them onto a small section dowel and silicone sealed the joints, between the quadrant tiles, prior to fixing them in position. In this way, I found that they looked better, ie,more in a straight line than the ones I had previously fitted. I fitted my bath into a timber frame so, fortunately, there has been no discernible movement between bath and wall. They have stayed looking good for quite a few years now.

Thanks for all the answers. I realise now that the plastic bit is a bath trim. Where do you put your silicon caulk then if its a bath trim ?. But regardless, I have put the caulk strip over the trim and covering the tile and the bath. Its a little unsightly but I hope it will last a few years before I need to tidy it up again.

Secondly, some sites seem to suggest that I need to caulk the corners where the walls meet ?. I am using a waterproof grout I bought from Focus DIY.

Thanks

As long as your happy with the finished job Xystreme, that's all that matters. You can only work with what you have, and you gave it your best shot. Maybe next time eh. ;).... Silicone sealant down internal tiled corners (where the walls meet), is always a good idea, as others have said. Good luck to you anyway.

Roughcaster.

This is an interesting thread, and some good advice.
Unfortunately, I have the same problem at present, there is an ½" gap between the bath and the bottom of the tiles. The bath has obviously not been fixed correctly, but it is too big a job for me to alter it. So it seems that the only way to do it is to use a plastic strip, and hope for the best :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back