What parts to Silicon seal and Caulk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just started tiling a bathroom and I am wondering what parts of it should be silicon sealed and Caulked? By that I don't just mean around the bath and sink, I mean other areas such as internal corners etc.

I've a few features to add (shelving steps at the end of the bath) and pipe boxing.

I have it down that around wooden windows and architrave, it should be caulked, and where the wall meets the ceiling should also be caulked.

Should internal wall corners be silicon sealed from ceiling to floor?
If I created a step from a wall leading to a bath to act as stepped shelving, should I Silicon the internal corners of that?

If I box in some pipes, should the internal corners of that where it meets the wall, also be silicon sealed?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Thanks

Ant

Sponsored Links
the short answer is silicone any internal join. The reason isn't to seal it, but because grout cracks with movement and vibration (flexi grout less so). silicon leaves a nice neat join.

caulk should be used on all internal corners for the same reason, but only if your going to paint over it. Caulk yellows and stains badly if not painted

Thanks.

For Tiles which are not white, would you suggest still using White silicon or try and match a Silicon of the closest colour? My tiles are Johnsons Travertine Matt Cream.

Ant

Sponsored Links
you should be able to get a cream silicone. match your grout rather than your tiles.

you can also use a clear silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back