silicon in internal corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Quite a controversial issue! I have been told that in the internal corners round a bath tub up to the ceiling i should use silicon instead of grout because the area is very wet. I understand the use of silicon around the tub, but if i have to use silicon in the internal corner of a tub all the way up to the ceiling because it is a wet area, i certainly need to use silicon in between every wall tiles around the bath tub as the whole area is going to be wet! I am not an expert in tiling so what would you advice on that, please? :eek: Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Silicone vertical joints in shower areas only.
Hi gcol and thanks 4 your time.
1) Why would that be only in vertical joints and not everywhere?
2) When you say shower areas, do you mean it does not apply to bath tub with movable shower hose but it only applies to shower trays?

Because you're sealing between 2 walls - there will be more movement in the wall junction than grout alone can cope with.
2) When you say shower areas, do you mean it does not apply to bath tub with movable shower hose but it only applies to shower trays?
I mean in a shower area - whether it's a movable shower hose over a bath or dedicate shower cubicle.

Sponsored Links
Because you're sealing between 2 walls - there will be more movement in the wall junction than grout alone can cope with.
I mean in a shower area - whether it's a movable shower hose over a bath or dedicate shower cubicle.
Got it! Thanks 4 the explanation ;)

There only has to be a tiny bit of movement between the two walls and a crack will appear, only, it's the worst type of crack because its almost impossible to see, and is a real slow burner, or slow rotter if you like. personally I run a small bead of silicone on every internal angle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back