tiled bathroom, what's first, silicon or grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just tiled the bathroom what's first, silicon or grout?

I am guessing it is better to grout first so you do not have to worry about damaging the silicon, is this right?

I assume you just have to stop any of the grout getting in where you want to silicon, any tips on how a pro would do this?

Also where to silicon, I am thinking of the corner in the shower (no bath fitted) and top and bottom of walls ( tiles go up to ceiling), but what about window reveal? Would you still silicon where the verticals meet the horizontals or grout as it is not in a particularly wet area?

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have just tiled the bathroom what's first, silicon or grout?
Grout.

I am guessing it is better to grout first so you do not have to worry about damaging the silicon, is this right?
Close enough.

I assume you just have to stop any of the grout getting in where you want to silicon, any tips on how a pro would do this?
Wipe it off before it dries.

Also where to silicon, I am thinking of the corner in the shower (no bath fitted) and top and bottom of walls ( tiles go up to ceiling), but what about window reveal? Would you still silicon where the verticals meet the horizontals or grout as it is not in a particularly wet area?
Don't know what you mean by "not particularly wet". If it's a dry area, then grout the joints, otherwise use silicone.

Where the tiles meet the ceiling consider using decorators caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back