Silicone for grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I already know silicone should be used as grout for many reasons but I just spoke to a tiler and he recommends using silicone instead of grout every 20 sqm as this helps to avoid tile cracking. Something about tile movement or tile expansion.

It's the first I've heard of this but I'm no expert. Any truth to this?

Sponsored Links
You would fit movement joints between long runs of tiles, so about every 5m for when installed on heated floors and 8m otherwise but it's not just about the area, it's the linear distances. So assuming your room was bigger than 5m x 5m (25m2) and you have underfloor heating then movement joints would be required. Presumably he's talking about using propriety movement joints rather than just using a bit of silicone instead of the grout. You should consult your tile manufacturer for a definitive answer.

And the world of tiling knowledge keeps expanding. Never heard of movement joints before. The entire ground floor is tiled without any natural breaks. The main open plan area is well over 5m x 5m. The tiler doesn't speak fluent English but he said silicone in the line instead of grout. My understanding is he would use silicone directly instead of grout around every 20 sqm.

For context, it is a ground floor, concrete sub-floor with underfloor heating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back