Grout or Silicone internal corners?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just finished tiling our bathroom including the shower area. I have heard that the internal corner of the shower should be siliconed, is this right or should it be grouted? Is this the same for all internal corners?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i always thought where the tiles meet the bath or shower you should silicone them. ours is

Thanks for the reply but I didn't actually mean between the shower tray and the wall. The bit I mean is the corner between the two walls from the tray to the ceiling and all the other corners of the room.

Thanks.

no idea, ours are not, as i said the only bit with silicone is where our bath meets the tiles (2 edges / walls) no other silicone in the bathroom

Sponsored Links
Stoo,
I always grout and silicone internal corners in showers and bathrooms.It is always another barrier against the water,and it also gives a neat finish.

Roughcaster.

We do all walls regardless of bath or shower area. Mainly because of possible movement between to wall types, i.e. stud and solid walls. But also because of looks and out of habit.

Hi, thanks for the replies! That is what I guessed.

Thanks again.

If your joining walls are of differing construction (one brick and one stud for instance) you should use just silicone in the joint as the linear co-efficency (expansion/contraction rate) will differ and if the two walls are joined by adhesive the adhesive can be pulled of the wall resulting in the tiles blowing away from the wall. I use silicone on all corner joints just in case.

I would say its best to use silicone ( a good one ). I always use silicone when installing a shower and any showers i've seen that have been grouted, always end up cracking and letting in water.

I'm tiling my 'u' shape enclosure (800 x 1200mm) with 400mm x 400mm x 10mm natural slate tiles using brick bond. My questions are:

1) Where to start - I was going to tile the two outer walls first, starting from the bottom (full tile height as the tiling is going up to 2m), marking out the centre then working upwards. When these two walls were done I was going to tile the back wall from the centre out. Is this right? If I am using brick bond then I will have to go up in rows rather than columns, is that right?

2) When it comes to the internal corners I was going to cut the slate so the two side walls butt up the the back wall, then when tiling the back wall leave a 3mm silicone gap, is this also right?

I'm tiling my 'u' shape enclosure (800 x 1200mm) with 400mm x 400mm x 10mm natural slate tiles using brick bond. My questions are:

1) Where to start - I was going to tile the two outer walls first, starting from the bottom (full tile height as the tiling is going up to 2m), marking out the centre then working upwards. When these two walls were done I was going to tile the back wall from the centre out. Is this right? If I am using brick bond then I will have to go up in rows rather than columns, is that right?

2) When it comes to the internal corners I was going to cut the slate so the two side walls butt up the the back wall, then when tiling the back wall leave a 3mm silicone gap, is this also right?

#
already replied on your other thread mate, and yes, silicone down the internal corners, protects against water ingress and also aids with minimal movements of the walls if they are stud for example

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back