Cautionary Tale on Tax Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/10/donald-trump-kansas-failed-tax-cuts

I don't know if anyone follows the US closely but what has happened in Kansas is truly shocking - they cut taxes to zero on the rich and it ended up costing them hundreds of millions -

"Next year, the state faces a school shutdown after the supreme court found its educational spending was unconstitutionally low. Some of those schools have already had to shorten the school year in order to save cash."

"give huge tax breaks to super-rich donors [the rightwing, union-bashing Koch brothers are Kansas’s richest residents], then hand them a second win by cutting services, waiting for those services to buckle under the strain and then argue the private sector can do it better."

Sponsored Links
Yup, the law of unintended consequences. Happens the world over.

Yup, the law of unintended consequences. Happens the world over.

No. That is absolutely wrong. Reagan's tax cuts? Bush tax cuts? Reagans and and Bush tax cuts blew a whole in the national debt. Bush added about $5.9 trillion.
Academic research and past history all points to the same fact - tax cuts for the rich increases public debt and services are cut.

Now you have said we shouldn't get into debt for increasing spending but accept getting into debt for cutting taxes.

Sponsored Links
So just what the fu ck do you think the law of unintended consequences means. Read about it before you jump down my throat.

Sorry Dogg but the outcome of the tax cuts was not unknown or unforseen- you cannot argue that when I have pointed out evidence above. The notion that we didn't expect the tax cuts to blow a hole in the budget is not a defence when their are historical precursors and basic economic theory will tell you what will happen.

An unintended consequence is reducing knife crime only for criminals to move to using Acid as their weapon of choice. You could not have modelled that as an outcome but you definitely would when it comes to regressive tax cuts.

I may have come across a tad too enthusiastic only because there is really no plausible argument in defence of those cuts when it comes to stimulating the economy. These are tired and debunked ideas that still seem to capture peoples imagination.

Un intentional consequences ??? Hmmm :rolleyes:

encouraging people to stop smoking has cost the NHS ;) people are living longer with treatable illnesses .

Encourage people to smoke and they would all die early ;)

Interesting theory Transam, it'd be good to see if the cancer treatment, and the coronary bypass operations for the smokers would cost less that all the medicine and care home costs, or more. On the other hand, do we want to give the government any ideas.

Un intentional consequences ??? Hmmm
encouraging people to stop smoking has cost the NHS people are living longer with treatable illnesses .
If **** end thinks that encouraging people to live a longer and healthier life is an unintended consequence, he needs to reappraise his definition of unintended consequence. Living a longer and healthier life was the primary intention of encouraging people to stop smoking.
What other reason did **** end think there was? :rolleyes:
And doggit thinks it is an interesting theory? :rolleyes:
Interesting theory Transam,

What kind of mind do these two possess? FFS :rolleyes:

Un intentional consequences ??? Hmmm :rolleyes:

encouraging people to stop smoking has cost the NHS ;) people are living longer with treatable illnesses .

Encourage people to smoke and they would all die early ;)

Using your brain dead logic we should discourage people to wear seatbelts or any protective gear, you are going to die so you might as well get on with it.

However it seems your prevalent use of emoticons does suggest you are in troll mode. ;)

Last edited:
On a serious note, life is a terminal disease; once people accept that, they wouldn't try and extend life beyond what is sensible. Is it really good that we keep people in a vegatitve state just because life is supposed to be sacrosanct.

On a lighter note; you really need to get used to Transams sense of humor, and in light of the comment that I made, it is actually a pertinent observation.

There's only one person on here that Transam "trolls" and that's because the other person screams blue murder at him in the first place, and has been reported and censored for doing so. Keep things in perspective.

Using your brain dead logic we should discourage people to wear seatbelts or any protective gear, you are going to die so you might as well get on with it.

However it seems your prevalent use of emoticons does suggest you are in troll mode. ;)

:rolleyes: ball cocks from the forum big ead

if you want safer driving ,make the car more dangerous ban seat belts a put a metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

If I wish to use emoticons its nowt to do with you :p and reflects my mood :LOL:

Incidentally I hope the emergency services turn up at your house if needs must . Unlike you who hope's that the emergency services do not turn up at my house ;) yes I remember ;)

Fact is I do not like you due to your nasty remark that wished harm on me or my family ;) & u assume u occupy the moral high ground :LOL::LOL:

**** head

Interesting theory Transam, it'd be good to see if the cancer treatment, and the coronary bypass operations for the smokers would cost less that all the medicine and care home costs, or more. On the other hand, do we want to give the government any ideas.

This very point with ref' smokers & people living longer was discussed at length on Radio 4 a few weeks ago

Also bear in mind the amount of tax that smokers pay when buying the product ???

The subject about the effects on the NHS by encouraging people to stop smoking etc was raised & discussed

Kanker wat sit obviously did not listen to it , probably to busy trolling on some other site :LOL:

:rolleyes: ball cocks from the forum big ead

if you want safer driving ,make the car more dangerous ban seat belts a put a metal spike in the middle of the steering wheel.

If I wish to use emoticons its nowt to do with you :p and reflects my mood :LOL:

Incidentally I hope the emergency services turn up at your house if needs must . Unlike you who hope's that the emergency services do not turn up at my house ;) yes I remember ;)

Fact is I do not like you due to your nasty remark that wished harm on me or my family ;) & u assume u occupy the moral high ground :LOL::LOL:

**** head

So your logic that people should be left to die, so why you worried about an ambulance service not turning up? If we are all going to die why stop it?

But it's perfectly acceptable for you to wish harm on other people?

So your logic that people should be left to die, so why you worried about an ambulance service not turning up? If we are all going to die why stop it?

But it's perfectly acceptable for you to wish harm on other people?

ball cocks u big ead

u said " I hope (you) that the emergency services do not turn up around my house"

Is this an attempt by u to weasel your way out of wishing personal harm on me :LOL::LOL: or members of my family hmmmm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back