Cavity or Solid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 1950 rural cotswold stone house with crittal windows , reveals at windows measure walls at 450mm thick, in the attic the gables show an internal skin mixture of of breeze blocks , stretcher brick and header brick. do you think there would be a cavity between external cotswold stone and internal skin?
Or would they be tight together ? i thought solid wall went out in the 30s?

any info would be cracking
thanks

Sponsored Links
Andy,
Solid walls never went out. There was a public health act in 1936 which was against solid 9 inch walls being used unless protected by tile hanging or render etc. However thicker walls could still be used.
At 450mm the wall could be either. In the West country cavities are sometimes built in stone with a block backing wall, cavity and then an inner block wall.
I think that your's could be a solid wall with a stone face and the inside brickwork bonded into it. You can usually tell if its solid by looking at the quion stones. Also the gable brickwork sounds like its more than 4 inches thick.
If this is for an EPC as long as you take enough photos and have the site notes to back up your theory there should be no problem as it won't make too much difference to the RDSAP ratings.
If you put on some photos of the gable brickwork and both sides of the quoins I might have a better idea.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back