Cavity Wall insulation (How can I tell its there?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We moved into a relativly new build (2006) house in september and have noticed that it seems to loose heat very quickly when the heating goes off.

I have a bad feeling that the cavity wall insulation has not been installed and need a way to be able to tell (without removing bricks!)

I have been in the loft today and noticed that there is a small gap in the breeze blocks looking through this (it is only 1-2cm at most) I can see the brick wall on the outside of the house, this to me suggests that there is no insulation, although some one has suggested to me that the insulation may actually be inside the breeze blocks now (or affixed to the outer surface)

Is there any way that I will be able to determine this myself without forking out for a survey or drilling massive holes in the walls?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Unless you can see into it from the loft? maybe a mirror and torch arrangement?

or drilling massive holes in the walls?

Really you are massively exaggerating the work required to remove a brick, its quick and the only issue is getting the pointing to match existing and so choose an inconspicuous place.

Another other option is to remove a vent cover for an extractor or tumble dryer, if its been cored and is a very tight fit forget it but if its been butchered out there may be enough room to remove the sleeve or see around it.

If you have traditional cavity wall construction a house that age will most likely have solid celotex type boards pinned against the inner leaf.

Some (not the majority) local authorities have an online facility to view Building Regulations plans, this would at least tell you what they should have built. Building control are also obliged to give you copies of the Regs drawings under the Freedom of information Act BTW.

That doesn't really help your original question though! :mrgreen:

Thanks both of you.

I know that they SHOULD have put some in so I dont need to go down that route, I wasnt aware that they could have sheets attatched to the blocks (I was expecting the cavity to be full of fluff!) so its possible that this is done and I just couldnt see it from where I was in the loft.

I know that brick removal isnt a massive job, but Im really not looking to spend any cash on this, and Im not doing it myself (my DIY skills stop with shelves!)

It hadnt occured to me before but we do have extractors installed so Ill pop one out next weekend and see whats there!

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
the extractors may be drilled with a core drill in which case it'll be hard to see around it but worth a look anyway in case they battered it out.

this is how most modern new build cavities are insulated

http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk...3-51e186c775f3/Kooltherm-K8-Cavity-Board.aspx

A 50mm sheet pinned against the inner wall with the use a special wall ties and then a 50mm clear air gap to the outer leaf as per the photo

the extractors may be drilled with a core drill in which case it'll be hard to see around it but worth a look anyway in case they battered it out.

this is how most modern new build cavities are insulated

http://www.kingspaninsulation.co.uk...3-51e186c775f3/Kooltherm-K8-Cavity-Board.aspx

A 50mm sheet pinned against the inner wall with the use a special wall ties and then a 50mm clear air gap to the outer leaf as per the photo

The new builds around here have for years used full fill glass fibre batts (the yellow stuff). You can see it at the window reveals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back