Cavity wall insulation quote - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have just had a quote for cavity wall insulation, which I'm hoping to get done using the government green deal scheme which is about to close - basically the quote seems way higher than I was expecting.

House is a two storey semi, quote is for 'energy store super beads' at £10/m2.

Materials comes to £900, labour £675, plus a few odds like the cavity barrier brings the total to about 2 grand (90m2)

Does this seem right? I googled rough costs about a year ago and was seeing guides of about £700 for detached and £500 for semi...

With the green deal vouchers paying two thirds, the cost to me comes down to about £700.

If anyone can give any insights on this I would be very grateful as the scheme closes in a couple of days and I need to decide whether to go for it as soon as.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say that seems high. I am due to get cavity insulation on my semi detached house shortly and the original quote was £855, so I am paying a third of that. I don't have the largest house mind. This is in the south east as well.

The reason these silly schemes don't work is that the companies involved inflate their prices - partly to cover the "hoop jumping" the government impose and partly greed.

Sponsored Links
About 10 years ago there was a previous scheme where home owners could get their cavity walls and lofts insulted and other energy saving work done at a discounted rate. IIRC, cavity walls cost something like £400, and the homeowner paid £99. I can't imagine that costs have gone up so much in the meantime.

Thank you for the replies - you've pretty much echoed my thoughts. I have had a second quote which is less than the first, but still seems high.

I think it is exactly as suggested - they've bumped up the price to take advantage. Someone from the second company as good as admitted this has been happening.

So my options are go ahead now, or wait for the scheme to be over, but either way is going to cost about the same to me.

Bit ridiculous

Sorry, I just re-read the original post . That is ridiculous - maybe try find a small company who don't sit on the approved panels (though I suppose that's most of them) who are a bit more honest/bothered about reputation? Or have the manufacturers jacked up the price?

There is no way I would retrofit cavity wall insulation. Ask yourself why buildings are designed with cavity trays, weep vents, drip points on wall ties etc. Yes! it's because it is expected that sometimes, either because of condensation or penetration, water will run down the inside face of the outer brick leaf. What happens when you fill the cavity? Where does that water go? And, the outer brick leaf will now be colder because of the insulation, so any house air that manages to get to it will condense even more. My 2p.

We just had it done, just over a grand for 160m^2 I think. That was under the green home grant so we only paid around £350.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back