Cavity Wall Insulation - Yes or No?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dormer Bungalow built in approx. 1960.

Cavity walls are currently empty.

I went over the idea of getting them filled a few years ago with beads however I decided against it after reading some horror stories.

Property has a subfloor, along with empty cavity and dormer conversion the walls feel very cold to touch and in general the property always feels cool/cold.

What are peoples opinions on getting the cavity filled with beads? Being a bungalow if anything goes wrong with it - i guess it will be half the work getting it out!

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the construction and how exposed the location.

If your house is not at tge top of a hill, in a very damp place or near the sea you should be ok.

Houses built in the 60's are generally quite well built. If the bricks are decent non porous and dry out quickly after heavy rain that is a positive, along with decent pointing.

If you have poor pointing and bricks that stay wet for hours and an exposed location, think again.

Unfirtunately your house will prob only have a 50mm cavity, so CWI will be a improvement, but you wont be bowled over by it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back