Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week a man knocked on our door claiming that he could get us compensation for 'badly done cavity wall insulation done years ago which would cause our home to get damp' . If we had a certificate he could get us a lot of money back. Now whether he was bonafide or scammy or just selling cavity wall insulation i am not sure, but we dont have a certificate for our CWI so we sent him away. It did lead me to thinking about how any damp or degraded Cavity wall insulation would be removed in order to put new sort in???? Does anyone know how it is removed and how you could ever be sure they got it all out especially if it is causing damp?

Sponsored Links
Last week a man knocked on our door claiming that he could get us compensation for 'badly done cavity wall insulation done years ago which would cause our home to get damp' . If we had a certificate he could get us a lot of money back. Now whether he was bonafide or scammy or just selling cavity wall insulation i am not sure, but we dont have a certificate for our CWI so we sent him away. It did lead me to thinking about how any damp or degraded Cavity wall insulation would be removed in order to put new sort in???? Does anyone know how it is removed and how you could ever be sure they got it all out especially if it is causing damp?

Its expensive, requiring brickwork to be removed and reinstated.

Your cold caller sounds like another PPI bandwagon.......no doubt a company could claim compensation if you actually had an issue, but they would take a vast chunk in commission.

yes we guessed that much - are you saying that outside bricks would be removed - how many ? We live in a 2 bed semi bungalow and I am wondering if we need to get the insulation checked. I assume they would remove a section of bricks outside just to check? What would be the cost of such a job i.e check the walls inside, remove old filling and replace with new ?

I had the same a few weeks ago but always suspicious of cold callers. I’ve googled it and most of the uk shouldn’t have had CWA fitted especially in the coastal areas and being a few mile from the sea that’s me knackered. I have not got a certificate with mine either moved in 18 months ago and sure mine is causing problems as constantly get salts coming through my lower brickwork.

Has anyone ever successfully used one of these companies to do it.

Sponsored Links
yes me too I live 1 mile from the sea but so far not seen any obvious damp fortunately however i would be interested to know more about the subject - has anyone had CWI done recently???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back