CCTV Camera in the home..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
l have the internet and would like to put a CCTV Camera in my house .
One where you and see it live on you mobile phone while out and about.
Is this possible.. if so what prices could they start at.
If a camera can be put into the house can it work wireless to the internet to the mobile phone.
Or would the camera have to or be better connected to the hub / router.

Sponsored Links
There are plenty of internet cams with mobile apps starting at about £100. Personally i’m not a fan of wifi devices that punch out to internet services as they are quite vulnerable.

There are plenty of internet cams with mobile apps starting at about £100. Personally i’m not a fan of wifi devices that punch out to internet services as they are quite vulnerable.
Are they not protected / security and safe so no one can see them but yourself.
Has anyone on here got one or can recommend any l could look at ..

In theory they are secure but in reality hackers keep finding ways to access "secure" data and images.

One 2016 example can be seen by clicking HERE

Ring claimed to have fixed it but click HERE for a more recent report. (2018 )

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You can buy a decent quality in the home wireless camera for less than £50 because it does not require any water proofing they are cheaper than outside cams.

Everything can be hacked dont be put off by hearing that just make sure you change default username/password/port and you will be ok.

I had one in my kitchen which you could control from phone as well as 2 way audio cost me 29.99.

Has anyone on here got one or can recommend any l could look at ..
A cheap and quick solution may be one of those Ring doorbells. You can live view/listen to them plus they can send motion alerts. There are probably many more similar stand alone units.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5710151

A guy I worked with had a wifi camera designed to allow him to call and play with his cat. It had a light beam to make the cat chase about. Quite cheap afaik

Thanks for all the replys , just want a basic cctv to put into the home while out similar to the last reply . I just want to check on my dogs now and again .

If you’ve got an old smartphone or tablet laying about, you can use that as a remote cctv with the manything free app. There are other apps that do the same thing.

Check here. https://manything.com/phones.html
Just checked out the .... Manything app and it looks ok , just need a spare phone for a set up.
Has anyone used this app . Will it allow family members to use it also on there phones as a viewer.
There is also another similar app callled Alfred , if anyone has used these apps or knows about them which one would be best to use .

Have you read the reviews on Google play?
The great majority of them seem to be saying that it's garbage, the app may be free but you have to pay for storage or something, unsubscribing is extremely hard etc.

Have you read the reviews on Google play?
The great majority of them seem to be saying that it's garbage, the app may be free but you have to pay for storage or something, unsubscribing is extremely hard etc.
I have looked into manything app and as l see it the app and using it is free and storage goes into manything iCloud which is free and when that becomes full data over rides previous storage unless lm not reading it right ?

If you just want a cheap way to check on your dogs, you won’t need any cloud storage, just an app that gives you live viewing.

Just always be aware that for the convenience of being able to see into your home from the internet, then there's always a compromise that the device can have a vulnerability that allows others to see into your home too. If it's just a matter of seeing you in your kitchen cooking your beans on toast fully clothed, then perhaps it's no big deal. If it's someone watching you or your family in a more private situation, then this may be a much bigger issue.

Many security devices are known vulnerable or have unexploited flaws waiting for the next hack. I just wouldn't have cameras internal to the home. External and business is fine, but inside the domestic property needs to remain 100% private without any possibility of compromise.

If you do add a camera internally, just make sure that all family members are aware that it is not guaranteed 100% private. At least that way, they can treat it with caution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back