CCTV Hikvision DVR-204Q-K1 resolution & frame rate spec ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am sure this is common to many DVR's but I do not understand the Hikvision spec for this unit.
It is a 4 channel DVR and I am interested in using it at 1080p full. Part of the spec (under frame rate) says
Main stream:
When 1080p Lite mode not enabled:
For 4 MP stream access: 4 MP lite@15fps; 1080p lite/720p/WD1/4CIF/VGA/CIF@25fps (P)/30fps (N)
For 3 MP stream access: 3 MP/1080p/720p….@15fps
For 1080p stream access: 1080p/720p@15fps; VGA/WD1/...@25fps (P)/30fps (N)
For 720p stream access: 720p/VGA...@25fps (P)/30fps (N)

Other parts say
Video bit rate32 Kbps - 6 Mbps

Video compression H.265+/H.265/H.264+/H.264

So assuming I had four 1080p camera's (with 2mp sensors) does this mean each camera can run at 15fps OR is the 15fps divided between them ?
Sorry if this is a dumb question but the answer is not obvious to me....

Sponsored Links
Why such low resolution?
Can I ask what you want the cameras for as I have concerns that you may be very disappointed.

15fps should be for each unit, 12fps is what the police recommend as a minimum.

It says stream access but not recording specification, recording specification is usually lower not checked the data sheet of the unit.

lite modes means is dumbed down, not sure what that means exactly for that NVR but it usually means lower quality than the specified resolution.

Well for those of us without massive 4K+ televisions in our living rooms :)1080p is actually quite reasonable but dependent on lenses & ranges etc. I just chose it as a figure to compare dvr's not necessarily the final resolution. In the meantime the full spec for that dvr is here but nowhere can I see the actual recording fps, so perhaps we are supposed to assume it is four times the mainstream rate. I think I better try the Hikevision help again if I can get past the robot!
Thanks for the reply :)

Sponsored Links
We dont do analogue but looks like there are lots of limitations on use of that specification

https://www.getscw.com/knowledge-base/1080lite just seems a backward step to me, usually record the mains stream and view the sub stream.

The 1080p lite mode allows some loss in resolution for a higher frame rate, the DVR isn't great.
Think I am out as we can go through specs of each unit you look at but it wont move you on any.

Just look at what you are losing in lite mode wrt to resolution, but maybe a fast frame rate and a slower resolution suits your application, this is probably due to processing power of the DVR and something has to give, ie a trade off.

Realistically it looks like you want something that is cheap, without context its hard to say whether cheap is great for you or a waste of money.

It’s not sniping you muppet , the tv has nothing to do with it ! You can put a 5mp system on a 1080 tv and it will look the same as 2mp system , now when you come to blow the image up to look at the detail that’s where the difference will be

1080p is useless for evidential purposes unless someone is foolish enough to stand still in right in front of the camera.

Yup, agreed. You're thinking of TV-style pictures, where the crimewatch suspect stands passport-photo style in front of the camera, but this just isn't realistic in CCTV. Cameras have to cover a wider area from further away and if you want intruders to be more than a vague smear on the screen, you'll need more pixels.

It depends as well on your use case. Personally, I'm not as bothered about evidential use - if this is the case, the cameras have already failed to do their job - I want accurate, real-time alerts of what's going on so I can deal with it immediately, but this needs every bit as high quality data feed (albeit lower framerates) so you can accurately distinguish between people, cars, trees and car headlights. This needs a decent number of pixels.

We dont do analogue but looks like there are lots of limitations on use of that specification

https://www.getscw.com/knowledge-base/1080lite just seems a backward step to me, usually record the mains stream and view the sub stream.

The 1080p lite mode allows some loss in resolution for a higher frame rate, the DVR isn't great.
Think I am out as we can go through specs of each unit you look at but it wont move you on any.

Just look at what you are losing in lite mode wrt to resolution, but maybe a fast frame rate and a slower resolution suits your application, this is probably due to processing power of the DVR and something has to give, ie a trade off.

Realistically it looks like you want something that is cheap, without context its hard to say whether cheap is great for you or a waste of money.
I don't think I would bother with 1080p lite. Now I am slowly understanding DVR specs I agree that particular one is pretty poor although at least it manages a specification unlike most "consumer grade" devices I have looked at. I am still very much learning and it does seem anything worthwhile having is probably beyond my initial budget and as you say it's not worth wasting money on junk.
It’s not sniping you muppet , the tv has nothing to do with it ! You can put a 5mp system on a 1080 tv and it will look the same as 2mp system , now when you come to blow the image up to look at the detail that’s where the difference will be
Sorry just feeling got at because I know nothing, but I am trying to learn (a long way to go yet).
1080p is useless for evidential purposes unless someone is foolish enough to stand still in right in front of the camera.
Whilst i agree with that I am not sure who would make use of the evidence given the police are not apparently interested in burglaries anymore.
Yup, agreed. You're thinking of TV-style pictures, where the crimewatch suspect stands passport-photo style in front of the camera, but this just isn't realistic in CCTV. Cameras have to cover a wider area from further away and if you want intruders to be more than a vague smear on the screen, you'll need more pixels.

It depends as well on your use case. Personally, I'm not as bothered about evidential use - if this is the case, the cameras have already failed to do their job - I want accurate, real-time alerts of what's going on so I can deal with it immediately, but this needs every bit as high quality data feed (albeit lower framerates) so you can accurately distinguish between people, cars, trees and car headlights. This needs a decent number of pixels.
I can see that and thank you, yes I probably had completely the wrong idea about CCTV in the first place. From what I have learned so far a 4 camera "consumer grade" outfit costing <£300 is virtually useless apart from the potential deterrent effect.

More generally thank you all for your comments, they have all helped me learn. And now I understand that worthwhile CCTV is going to be expensive I have to compare it with other alternatives such as the running costs of a large dog (I kid you not)! I already have a burglar alarm so another alternative might be to upgrade that (more sensors, more noise etc etc) or just simple things like gates across the drive. Thank you all again.

Last edited:
no problem

I don’t think cctv does deter thief’s these days , but it does back up other options eg external detection
I have an external device that is armed every night on the drive it’s been like this for 3 years now and never false alarmed , these things needs to set correctly to work , now back to the cctv …the drive did go off a few months ago at 4 in the morning got up took a look . No one around ….playing back the cctv confirmed some scroat had come up the drive to break into the car …he was off like a whippet when the full house alarm went off !

That's a very good idea :) We have an outside light/pir that is often triggered by an old tom who includes us in his patrol patch but it would be fairly easy to set something sufficiently high to exclude him. Before anyone asks we know he is a tom by the way he marks his patch :)

I have known people get identified with good cctv. but for putting them off and stopping the theft or damage is limited unless you confront them with a shotgun also gets the police onsite quicker but not to deal with those your trying to protect yourself from.

Exactly the problem hence the large dog (although even that has it's legal issues for the owner irrespective of what the so called victim was doing).
Unfortunately we live in an era where the police do not protect the law abiding public (to busy being woke) yet prosecute any attempt at self defense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back