CCTV Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I took advice from the forum and purchased 6 cameras and a XDH 8 channel HDD recorder from CCTV Direct, thinking I have the skills to do the install.

I've pulled the shotgun cable into all positions, used screw on connectors for the video signal, powered everything up and I just get a black and white flickering image on the screen for the 2 cameras I've tried,

I've also tried the cameras on 4 of the channels, and 4 separate cables and I get the same results. So process of illumination,

It's either the cameras
The HDD recorder
The power supply (10amp, 12v one purchased from TLC Electrical)
My connectors

so I guess the cheap and easy solution is to try a 1 meter fly lead direct between the camera and the HDD,

Also get a cheap 12v single camera power supply to illiminate the power supply?

Any other suggestions, should I bite the bullet and get a crimp tool and use crimp connectors instead of screw on?

The problem with the screw on is you can't tell how far in you've screwed the cable, or whether the ground is touching anywhere it should not?

Any ideas, I guess I need to check these two things before calling the tech support guy's at CCTV Direct.

Paul

Sponsored Links
The first thing is to return that dreadful chonlish dvr you have purchased.......CCTV direct rebrand and fancy package but the product is absolutely pants.....

You can buy an 8ch Samsung Techwin uk product with 500gb hdd for under £250........

Regarding your problem, it's almost certainly your bnc twist on connections......you need to recheck...the problem you have now is that CCTV direct will try and invalidate your warranty saying power Supps were not purchased from them......I'd return the lot and buy proper gear....

Good luck all the same, rgds Matt

If you have a multimeter, separate the BNCs at both ends and measure (ohms or continuity) between the pin and the outside. It should be open circuit. Then get a helper to short the pin to the outside with a short bit of wire whilst you check again at the other end - it should be a short circuit (or a fistful of ohms).

If they're permanent short or open circuit, it's your twist-ons. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back