cctv questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going away for a few days and plan on buying 2 outdoor ip cameras, that will be hard wired to a router, I know I need to use a pc to configure the system, but my questions are.

Once the system is setup can you power off the pc until you come back without affecting the ccctv ?. Do I need a certain type of camera to just run through a router ?
I have upload space on my internet account which I want to use for uploading images/video from the cameras.

Thirdly I have an Android phone so would I need special software to remotely view, or just through web browser on phone.

Sorry about all the questions but I could do with some input on this please.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It's going to depend entirely on which cameras you buy...

You should be able to leave the PC off once you've set it all up.

You'll need to set the router up with the appropriate port forwarding etc. - you may need a fixed/static public IP address from your ISP. I don't know how you're going to upload video to the internet...

For your phone - again, it depends what you buy. Some manufacturers have apps...

You'll need to set the router up with the appropriate port forwarding etc. - you may need a fixed/static public IP address from your ISP. I don't know how you're going to upload video to the internet...

For your phone - again, it depends what you buy. Some manufacturers have apps...

I have a galaxy s2 also have a qnap ics1013 It used to work one but I that was before I went from xp to windows 7, not sure.

Cheers for reply.

I just want a camera that will do its job, I am willing to spend around £200 on each camera.

Sponsored Links

I just want a camera that will do its job, I am willing to spend around £200 on each camera.

Was hoping my isp would allow me to upload from ipcamera, will have to ask them that i think.

Cheers

You'll have to check the software that comes with the camera. Looking on the www, it says that you can remote monitor via the internet but I bet you actually connect to the NVR (Network Video Recorder) and not the camera directly. Uploading video uses a fair bit of bandwidth and a shed load storage space (which is why NVRs have 1000000000000 byte disks!!). You'd be better off connecting via your browser to check live video...

Don't ask me about Windows 7 - I still struggle to find a command prompt! And I've given up looking for edlin... :LOL:

Best of luck

You'll have to check the software that comes with the camera. Looking on the www, it says that you can remote monitor via the internet but I bet you actually connect to the NVR (Network Video Recorder) and not the camera directly. Uploading video uses a fair bit of bandwidth and a shed load storage space (which is why NVRs have 1000000000000 byte disks!!). You'd be better off connecting via your browser to check live video...

Don't ask me about Windows 7 - I still struggle to find a command prompt! And I've given up looking for edlin... :LOL:

Best of luck

I did this with my old pone, but when I was o windows xp.

The real problem right now is I can't get into my qnap ics 1013.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back