IP CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to get IP CCTV installed so I can mointor the cameras when away etc, but I have a few questions,

1. Can you get cameras that only record when motions is detected ?

2. How does the storage of recorded fortage work, will I have to have a PC running at home all the time or can the fortage be stored online as well ?

3. Any systems you can recommend I need two cameras ?

ta

Sponsored Links
1. yes

2. you can store on a memory card in the camera, on an online server or on a home PC running as a server

3. I like the facilities on Mobotix but they're not cheap

When you say IP CCTV that would suggest to me the cameras broadcasting to the DVR over IP but I think you will find that a lot of DVRs where cameras are connected in coax or twisted pair (composite video) will have the ability to connect to a computer network and have the ability to be viewed and controlled by other computers and devices over a network/internet.

If you have a DVR then you wont need to have a computer running but you will need to set up the DVR and internet protocols to enable the system to communicate. And the issue of static IP addresses on the home internet connection will need to be addressed, again this can be done using software and external website, usually a small charge is involved also.

If you are using a camera card in the pc for the cameras to connect too or over a lan in ur house then the computer will need to run to control the cameras in most cases. Although I am no expert in IP cameras as we have used so little of it as IT departments dont usually like us dicking around in their patch panels etc. But there may be cameras that host all the software to make them purely stand alone.

Rob

Hi Bobballs

I use Y Cam IP cameras on my house, there is a Y Cam SD which i have on the front garden, where there is an on board SD Card can record on motion detection. So you can download directly from the camera if needed.

They also have a multiview software that can record & see all your cameras at the same time but you have to have your PC on for this.

Also the cameras can send a snap shot on motion detection to your email address. They are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

You may also need to set up a dynamic dns if you don't have a static ip address

Sponsored Links
I'm with Plusnet and I got a static I.P. address instantly through their support pages. It cost me a one of payment of £5 but as soon as I clicked on the buttton I had it.
I've got this little wi-fi bridge http://www.vonets.com/product/show_pro.asp?ID=261 so that my DVR can talk to my router, which is in another room. That allows me to watch my cameras on my phone or the internet when I'm at work.

I'm with Plusnet and I got a static I.P. address instantly through their support pages. It cost me a one of payment of £5 but as soon as I clicked on the buttton I had it.
I've got this little wi-fi bridge http://www.vonets.com/product/show_pro.asp?ID=261 so that my DVR can talk to my router, which is in another room. That allows me to watch my cameras on my phone or the internet when I'm at work.

you could also use homeplug which will send the network over the mains power cable. which can be more reliable than wireless

Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back