CCTV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
Just after some info on this kit, complete dummy in this department but someone putting a rock thru my car window last night it's time to look into some cctv as a deterrent & maybe incase they decide to come back.
Is this kit any good?
http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=95429

If not can someone recommend anything, in basic terms I would like 2 cameras recording onto a hard drive or DVR (whatever it is), I'm not overly fussed on watching it live as long as I can access the footage if need be..also can I point cameras into the pavement just off the end of my drive? I know your not allowed to record other people's property (fair enough). I know a copper and he reckons you can record the road/pavement there would be no comebacks..
Appreciate any help!
Cgas

Sponsored Links
if you search Swann on this forum you will already know its not highly thought of.

ico are responsible for CCTV, the goalposts keep changing.

what kind of budget are you on?

Being honest I don't want to spend a fortune as I'm hoping it won't happen again but just to be on the safer side. As I said I really have no idea in this department so really unsure on the cost but was looking to keep it under 200-300 quid if possible. I'm not lookin for anything spectacular that u can work off phones or watch live, I just want to record onto hard drive or Dvr and be able to watch it back if need be.
Hope this helps. Cheers

search online for HIK 2 camera kit you will find something under £300 in the TVI range

Sponsored Links
Swann kit is basically the same Chinese stuff you can get on Ebay, but at twice or three times the price. It works but it ain't good. Axis and Dennard are the brand leaders but you will pay a lot for those. It all depends what you need it to do. Pesumably night coverage is vital, and the point to note here is that many cameras which claim night vision actually rely on infrared LEDs, and the results from these aren't too hot especially as they are B&W and have very uneven illumination. If you can find one with a genuine sensitivity of under 1 lux it will work under most streetlighting and give colour, which is far better from an evidence point of view. For deterrent value a traditional large outdoor box might be more convincing than a bullet cam, anyway, especially as so many folks put up dummy bullet cams. If your budget goes to it, a speed dome like the Dennard 2040/2060 is excellent, especially as the crook has no way of knowing where it is pointing, and if you are aware of the crime going on you can zoom in to frame a face for a mugshot. There are some reasonably effective Chinese speed domes at around the £150 mark, although they only go to 10x zoom. HTH.

Appreciate the replies I will have a look around, maybe a few more questions to come...! Also just on the note of the crime going on id be outside with a length of copper round the little shytes neck never mind zooming in the camera!! Horrible little gits I hope they have an horrendous life

Interesting thread and i sympathise as the choice of cctv equipment seems very confusing to me. So far i have come up with the idea of buying a camera that records directly to a SD card. I am not sure if it is a good idea to record to a SD card only but it certainly is more cost effective but i guess if the camera is stolen(unlikely i know) i lose all the recorded images.

I am looking at the HIKVISION DS-2CD2032F-I 3MP 4mm Outdoor HD DWDR IR Bullet Network IP Camera POE ,SD Card Slot camera. The reason is because it has a SD card for recording.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HIKVISION-D...srs=2559966031&ie=UTF8&qid=1441433272&sr=1-21

I have the following questions:

1. Will i be able to connect this camera directly into my BT HomeHub router and using the SADP Hikvision software be able to view and program the camera?

2. If i set up the ports correctly on my HomeHub will i be able to view the camera using the Hikvision App?

3. Will i be able to view the recorded images on the SD card direct from my pc or app or will i have to physically remove the SD card and plug it into my pc?

4. Does the camera come with an SD card installed or do i need to buy one?

5. I understand that a Nvr is the normal way to record images but as i only have one camera and only need max 30 mins recording is a SD card suitable?

6. I would like to view the images on my Sony HD Tv. MY Tv is 1080p which i gather is the equivalent of 2.1megapixels. Does this mean the Hikvision 3 megapixel is a waste of money and i would be better off buying a 2 megapixel camera? Any benefit from having a 3 megapixel camera?

Thank you.

1. Yes, if you have a spare Ethernet port on the Homehub. I can't see any mention of Wifi on that camera

2. Yes, and within your home network you shouldn't have any problems with port forwarding. That only applies when coming in from the outside internet.

3. Yes (probably)

4. No.

5. Yes. You could also set the camera to upload files to online storage using FTP. You need a lot more than 30 mins recording in case an incident happens when you're not at home and you want to go back several days or weeks (even with motion sensitive recording)

6. Yes, you get more detail and can zoom in on recorded image for more details or for printing out. Remember for facial identification you need to have the subject's head a minimum number of pixels high even if they're not close to the camera.

Note the camera you link to might not come with a power supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back