Cedar Shingle Roof Moisture ingress or mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The issue I am having with mould. I would appreciate folks' thoughts and help.

For context, we are based in the UK, and our construction system consists of; cedar shingles, cedar breather, felt underlayment, plywood, actis multi foil 90mm with an integrated vapor barrier followed by a plywood lining internal lining.

Essentially, we're having some mould marks internally now. I am unsure whether this is caused by mould due to humidity levels being as high as 80% in the cabin continually for the past 2-3 months or if it is due to poorly fitted roof shingles causing water to run in? Were going to install a de-humidifier etc as a starting point.

The issue is a roofer I spoke with today said we would need to rip the whole thing off and start again. Our shingle gauge is 150mm, but the roofer said this would need to be 125mm, which he believes is causing the issue. The roof has a pitch of 45° and 90°. Of course, we want to avoid this and would appreciate your thoughts.

I have attached some photos, including the interior, that show the mould.

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 19.40.29_5e33ebec.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 19.36.01_8682fa31.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.36.58_f6ecb3fe.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 11.36.46_b920031a.jpg

Sponsored Links
When you say 'felt underlay' do you literally mean actual felt or do you mean it's a breathable membrane? A sketch showing the exact roof makeup would help. Why is the humidity so high? Do you have any background ventilation eg trickle vents in the windows etc? How often do you open the windows? What is the heat source? How often is it running? What is the purpose of the room, how often is it occupied? Interesting build! :)

Last edited:
When you say 'felt underlay' do you literally mean actual felt or do you mean it's a breathable membrane? A sketch showing the exact roof makeup would help. Why is the humidity so high? Do you have any background ventilation eg trickle vents in the windows etc? How often do you open the windows? What is the heat source? How often is it running? What is the purpose of the room, how often is it occupied? Interesting build! :)
Hey, thanks for the response. So, I have attached an image of the detail and the wall build-up. To answer why the humidity is so high. I am not sure to be honest. It's not being used at the moment, we do have trickle vents in the windows however, i have just opened them today only. We do not open the windows often. The heat source is biofuel, which creates more humid air, however we will install a dehumidifier shortly.

My concern is it is moisture ingress, I am worried the 150mm gauge is not enough, has to be 125mm, requiring us to remove the whole thing.

Attachments

• Cedare Breather.png
    Cedare Breather.png
    289 KB · Views: 37
To answer the rest of your questions, its not used often at all, its intended final use is as a holiday let but its still a build in progress.

Sponsored Links
There are not no, its a US construction method but it is used in wet areas the 'cedar breather' acts as the counter battens.

Hmm, well in the UK you'd normally adhere to UK construction methods, see how you go with the ventilation, that won't have helped. What was the exact insulation?

Yea, because of the curved structure, the Cedar Breather US product made sense. Many people recommend it out there and as shingles are more of a US construction system, it made sense at the time. Insulation is: Actis Multifoil 90mm.

That is a 35mm multiwall polycarbonate, for context, it has similar u-values to double glazed windows.
OK but how are the windows sealed? What are the others made of - they just look like thin perspex screwed to the frame over a seal, any hybrid windows like that will be prone to water and air leakage etc, suspect that will be the cause of your high humidity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back