Ventilating underlay for cedar shingles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying a roof of cedar shingles on OSP.
This American underlay http://www.benjaminobdyke.com/products/cedar-breather-ventilated-underlayment called Cedar Breather, creates an airspace under the shingles so they can dry both sides, and avoid cupping.

Cedar shingles are big business in the US, not so over here.
Is there a comparable UK product I could use?

Note: For various reasons, no batten, no counter-batten, yes that would have been simpler.

Sponsored Links
It's a good decade since I last did a shingle roof, I think you can use either a breathable or non breathable one, the shingles need to be grade Blue Label, I do remember that much. Speak with Marely, they supply shakes in the UK and have a reasonable technical department.

Sponsored Links
Thankyou.
Yes, Blue label.
I did think to interleave them with a membrane, probably Proctor Roofshield, that would brings any water to the surface but doesn't create a behind air space like the Cedar Breather.
I'll give Marley a call. Didn't realise they supplied, I got mine through SIG. I see their fixing tips just assume battens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back