Warm/Cold/Tepid roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960s chalet bungalow which Im looking to enhance the insulation in as it currently is a major source of global warming.
Thing is im not sure what is going to be my best approach in insulating it as it has insulation over the rafters as well as over the ceiling in the loft space.
From the outside we have plain concrete tiles on battens , a heavy felt underlay. Then under that is what looks 75mm glass wool with what remains of a breather layer bonded to the warmside. This is over the rafters and unsupported between them so it went on with the roof. There are no counterbattens over the insulation as it is just squashed flat at the rafters where the felt and battens are nailed down. Its not exactly a warm roof - more a 'tepid' one
There are no ridge or soffit vents but thats not uncommon for a property of this vintage but there are some pretty big draughts coming in from somewhere which I will locate. All the rafters and the loft void appears dry but im going to take my moisture meter up there to be sure.

The rest of the roof space is fairly conventional with approx 75mm glass wool between the ceiling joists but that is in poor condition from when the sparkies rewired.

The roof insulation is pretty shot as well as there has been vermin and wasps in the roof in the past.
I want to bring it up to about 300mm or equivalent overall and wondered if there was anyone else out there who had seen similar and what did they do?
Im thinking I could fill out between the rafters and then put a foil type insulation under the rafters allowing me to fill in and board out over the ceiling and retain some loft space for storage. What I dont want to do is unintenionally create cold spots or block of ventilation that should be unhindered. What do people think?

Sponsored Links
Problem solved - when I finally got into the extension roof which joins onto the main house roof its a cold roof with ventilated loft space. That will be where the draughts are coming from.

Guess its over joist insulation and write off any loft storage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back