Cold roof to wam roof conversion

mca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm looking to either convert my existing cold roof to a warm roof or get someone in to do but at the moment I'm just gathering information on what needs to be done. Apologies for the long post but it's probably best to give as much detail as possible.

From what I've read, when converting I need to remove the existing layer of insulation that sits above the plasterboard ceiling and between the rafters.

Now for the question; what do I do about the gap between the existing leaves of the wall (that the rafters rest on) and the roof deck?

With the cold roof this was needed in order to allow air flow in through the vents in the soffit and along the gap between the insulation and the roof deck to void condensation.

With the warm roof this is no longer need and so I assume it would be best if the vents in the soffit were removed/blocked and the leaves of the wall extended up to the underside of the roof deck. Otherwise air would still flow through the space between the rafters and defeat the object of the warm roof. I also think that just removing/blocking the vents in the soffit would only leave the relatively thin facia as the insulation layer between the outside and the space between the rafters hence building up the leaves of the wall to the underside of the roof deck would add a decent insulation layer.

Is this what's normally done or something else?

Thanks,
mca

Sponsored Links
warm roof void will not work if any air at all gets in roof space...all vents in roof and soffits must be sealed up even including small gaps on the bottom of facias

warm roof void will not work if any air at all gets in roof space...all vents in roof and soffits must be sealed up even including small gaps on the bottom of facias

Thanks.

Ok, so I can block the vents in the soffit but what about building up the leaves of the walls (inner & outer) up to the underside of the roof deck? Is that the way it's normally done?

Sponsored Links

Thanks.

Ok, so I can block the vents in the soffit but what about building up the leaves of the walls (inner & outer) up to the underside of the roof deck? Is that the way it's normally done?

Anyone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back