Insulate slate roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to create a warm storage space in my loft.
House dates to 1900
Original slate roof
I want to insulate the rafters and eventually add plasterboard etc.
There is no felt beneath the slate roof.
I have not noticed any leaks up there.
Can I add the insulation boards into the rafters and leave an air gap, or does the roof definitely need felt?

cheers

Andy

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No it doesn't need felt but the downside is that if you get a leak it might track it's way down the rafters and leak out further down the roof and you may have to remove the insulation to find it. It's not all that unusual though, you would do the same in a loft conversion that didn't have felt.

No it doesn't need felt but the downside is that if you get a leak it might track it's way down the rafters and leak out further down the roof and you may have to remove the insulation to find it. It's not all that unusual though, you would do the same in a loft conversion that didn't have felt.
Thank you... so I’m presuming as long as I leave 50mm between the tiles and the board for air, I won’t get damp caused by condensation?

Cheers.
Andy

The air gap between the insulation will be even more efficient without felt.
Drawbacks as fmt pointed out.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.
So change of plan. I’m Working from home more now so turning it into a bit of an office... plugs Lights plasterboard and plastering etc ..
So I can use superfoils? I believe they’re rather new to the industry? I can put those in between the rafters, below the slate, and then stick some celotex below them? Then plasterboard.
Would that do the trick?

Doesn't quite work like that ---> https://www.superfoil.co.uk/insulation-guide/

And --> https://www.superfoil.co.uk/case-study/loft-conversions-made-easy/

What about your floor? joists up to it?
Thanks for that I’ll have a look.
I’m now having a professional coming in to reinforce floor, I believe they’re ‘strapping’ the joists with new joists for reinforcement. And fitting a velux. I am just trying to find out as much as I can with regards to the insulation for the roof. Concerned for damp from condensation etc and want to do as much as possible myself.

If it's becoming an office, does this not make it a "habitable space" that required buildings regs?

If it's becoming an office, does this not make it a "habitable space" that required buildings regs?
Looks like it’s now going down that route.. Having a stair case Now too.
And will adhere to building regs with regards to the insulation, still want to do the majority myself to save the pennies. Waiting back for a couple of quotes still.
- for building regs do I need felt under the slate?
- Is it 125mm of insulation I need at the roof?
- Is it 25mm airgap from slate to insulation board?

I of course will ask the tradesmen doing the Velux but want advice from accross the board.
Cheers

Cheers mate.
So superfoil (still not sure which) with any gaps taped, with a 25mm air gap between that and the slate,
then celotex/kingsman boards
then plasterboard (or insulated plasterboard)
.. will this stop any condensation? I don’t want to mask any leaks etc just don’t want any condensation or damp.

Be aware some multi foils may not be acceptable, or at least do not achieve the standard of insulation claimed, you must check it has been independently tested ie BBA certification etc. If in any doubt check with building control, assuming you are doing the loft conversion legally of course.

What's the point in using a superfoil? Once you add in the required air gap above and below any space saving advantage is lost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back