Lining an unlined roof..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!!

I have an old bungalow that I am beginning to renovate. I have an original slate roof which is about 90 years old which is slate only and has no felt lining. It is solid and is not leaking so I have no need to remove the slates. I am also thinking that after 90 years some things are best left!!

I am going to be insulating the loft above the ceiling, boarding and also having a combi installed up there.

At the minute the whole loft is very draughty and everything I put up there ends up with dust covering it from outside.

Can I line the roof using felt on the underside of the rafters? I know the rafters need air flow to keep dry but I would imagine there would still be enough ventilation coming between the slates. Once lined I was intending to then board under the rafters using thin plywood just to give it a finished look. It is not a living space and is for storage only.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have an original slate roof which is about 90 years old which is slate only and has no felt lining. It is solid and is not leaking so I have no need to remove the slates. I am also thinking that after 90 years some things are best left!!
90 years, solid and not leaking? I wish mine had been like that at the same age! Have you been up there when it's raining to make sure?

I would have thought that after 90 years the end of its useful life might be in sight. You might think it's fine but you don't want to do lots of work below and then find dampness and slipping slates. I had the slates all lifted and re-fitted over a membrane, with new battens, soffits, fascia, gutters and leadwork.

You're right about ventilation. I kept the cold, well-ventilated loft and put lots of insulation on the ceiling joists, so I'm not sure about your proposal. Do make sure you keep the ventilation! Best of luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back