Thermafleece against roof felt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of insulating the loft and have high ceilings in the rooms below which follow the roof line into the corners/eaves. The ceiling below is up against the rafters, which are 70mm in depth, but with the roof felt lining sagging a bit it closes to about 60mm in places.

I want to put thermafleece between the rafters - should I use 50mm or 75mm depth? I've been told thermafleece doesn't stop the air circulation so am I right in saying the gap between the ceiling and roof can be filled completely by the 75mm depth and not cause any issues.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
i take it you want to poke the insulation down into the ceiling rake from the loft above? or do you intend removing a section of ceiling/roof?

Sponsored Links
CPEA said:
lathe and plaster

ouch!

ramming down anything may knock the ribs off the squeezed plaster between the lathes so be careful, or you may loose the ceiling.

Good point I'll be careful whatever I end up doing, but I was thinking more from a condensation/ventilation point of view.

Reading all the topics everyone is always keen to point out the 50mm gap from the insaultion to the eaves/roof felt...

CPEA said:
Reading all the topics everyone is always keen to point out the 50mm gap from the insaultion to the eaves/roof felt...
'fraid it's the building regs

I'm wondering if it's easier to use polythene insulation slabs if possible?

Thermafleece can go the full depth from all the information that's available. The building regs are not written to cope with this relatively new material. Having said that, I put rockwool full depth 20 years ago and have no problem. It probably makes a difference if you live in one of the modern sealed plastic bags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back