Roof ventilation - loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to this forum so hello to everyone.

I plan to carry out loft conversion and have little problem with roof vent. I live in mid-terrace house. My roof is build from double roman tiles and bitument type felt below. When installing future insulation between rafters I need to leave 50mm gap between felt and insulation boards. All will be ventilated via continue eaves and ridge air gaps.

Now the problem: once I install new velux windows there will be no continuity in air passage from eaves to ridge. How to ventilate the space between rafters near new skylights?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just been advised by my architect that...'if building control ask for it we will provide some vents but nothing to worry about'. And this actually got me worried even more.

Any ideas please?

You have to be pragmatic, you need to take reasonable steps but along your journey but there will be plenty of more important things to be concerned about. Fit a tile vent next above and below the window if you really want.

Ok thanks for your good advise. I will try to have pragmatic approach, however its also good to know some theory behind. I ask people for help on this forum to get the pragmatic view so ventilated tiles is a good advise - thanks. I am aware that it is difficult to forsee all, hence I try to tick as many boxes as possible before starting on site. Roof is my particular worry as once I open it I would like to close it asap in case of rain. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Secure a few wedges in the felt laps to keep them open and allowing air flow within the void between the rafters.

Thanks Woody, do you mean I.e. some plastic chanells between felt overlapping?

full

Much appreciated - easiest solution. I can't believe how simple this was and I spend hours trying to figure this out. Also nearly bought a vent tiles! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back