Retrofitting roof ventilation on vaulted ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a vaulted ceiling. The vaulted part is about 1.5 metres long, contains Celotex insulation with a gap between the insulation and the felt, and leads into a normal loft. The felt is breathable, and I’m hoping that this is enough, but maybe not.

The roof has no fascia or soffit as the house is very old. The rafters run down to and through the wall, and the roof overhangs the wall by a tile’s length or so, sitting on marine board. There is a cross-section attached.

I have become very aware of the fact there is no ventilation at eaves height (though there are ventilation tiles in the main part of the loft). How do I retrofit ventilation without having to do anything too major? I am hoping there is a product I can use at eaves height to lift a roof tile by a couple of cm to let air in, but I guess even that would need to go under the felt?

Or should I simply drill some holes at the top of the wall, between the rafters, and cover with some sort of vent cover/mesh?

I have a similar issue with a warm roof on a loft conversion, which has dry ridge but no eaves level ventilation. Again, the felt is breathable and I’m hoping that this is enough, but would be grateful for advice.

Many thanks!
E1374CEE-9EE2-42EB-AEB1-0D5176E4B462.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Many Thanks for your reply.

The fascia is attached to the end of the rafters, but it is about 30cm from the end of rafters to the house wall, and sitting on top of the rafters for that distance is some marine ply. I think I need the ventilation to be added at the house wall so it can get into the loft void, but maybe I’m wrong about that. So I’m not sure that over fascia venting will work.

I wondered about a roll panel or something like that?

Sponsored Links
I really appreciate your advice on this. But just to check - are you saying I should put a counter batten on the plywood and then put an over facia vent on top of the plywood? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back