Loft ventilation - retrofit vent trays

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. My roof is quite a low pitch which means that the loft insulation butts up against the sarking (the damned stuff is non breathable bitumen) and it's a struggle to cover the edges of the ceiling below without blocking the eaves with insulation. So I was considering fitting some loft vent tray (the continuous roll type) in order to provide some vented separation. Plainly I can't fit it as a continuous roll without lifting the tiles, battens and felt so I'm after some ideas of how I might retrofit eaves venting from within without taking the roof off. Any thoughts on how I might achieve this please? It's a 1940s extended detached house and the rafters aren't all a consistent width apart :( Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all. My roof is quite a low pitch which means that the loft insulation butts up against the sarking (the damned stuff is non breathable bitumen) and it's a struggle to cover the edges of the ceiling below without blocking the eaves with insulation. So I was considering fitting some loft vent tray (the continuous roll type) in order to provide some vented separation. Plainly I can't fit it as a continuous roll without lifting the tiles, battens and felt so I'm after some ideas of how I might retrofit eaves venting from within without taking the roof off. Any thoughts on how I might achieve this please? It's a 1940s extended detached house and the rafters aren't all a consistent width apart :( Many thanks.
Use the springiness of the insulation to wedge pieces of tray in place. Try and put some adhesive on the back (messy) first. Otherwise, if you are acrobatic, you could leave them long enough to staple them to the rafters. It's not like their design is intended to be accurate or flush. Their very purpose is to create a void so that air can pass by.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back