ceiling damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had a pipe leak in the upstairs toilet with water dripping through the downstairs dining room ceiling for a couple of hours. Now the leak has been fixed, and there are several water marks left on the ceiling and some paint peeled. The ceiling looks ok though (no bend or anything suspicious). I wonder if I need to have it replastering or even change the plaster board for the affected area, or just a re-painting job?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Newby3, welcome to the Forum,
If the leak was only "water dripping" for a couple of hours and nothing more than that,(depending on the drips) then I think any damage to the plasterboard would be minimal. You said that some paint peeled and there are several water marks left on the ceiling, but apart from that, the ceiling itself is ok. I don't think there would have been enough water to cause any serious warping or bending of the p/board sheets. If, as you say it looks ok, then apart from treating the water marks with stain blocker, and maybe touching up with a bit of fine filler where the paint peeled away, luckily, it's just a re-painting job. Could have been a lot worse.

Roughcaster.

if you can take up the floor above, then, as well as drying it out quicker, you can see if it looks damaged. Sometimes the paper/card covering comes away from the plaster. I don't know how much that weakens it though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back