Ceiling hairline crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We have moved into a 1960's house (roughly 1 month in) It has a single story extension which extends the second living room and kitchen.

From the initial viewing we noticed a hairline crack in the ceiling where the extension joins to the original second living room (horizontal crack across the full width) which we didn't think too much off and also the our survey just said its general settlement.
Also it is obvious previous owners have just tried to paint over it.
The extension was done in the 1980's.

In the last few days (around when it has snowed bad (snow still on the roof on the extension)) we have noticed that this crack is slightly more defined.
I have measured it and it is less then 1mm in size.

Could this be just a change in temperature and things are moving?

We also have had a plumber round the other day who was in the attic part of this extension but in the kitchen (there are no cracks like this present in this room) He was only sitting on the hatch but maybe his added weight opened it slightly? Wish I took more notice before and after his visit.

I am quite a paranoid guy so slightly OCD about it

Whats your thoughts?

See attached for picture (it runs the whole width of the room not changing in size)

Thanks

Attachments

• image1 (1).JPG
    image1 (1).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the new and old parts are on different foundations they will move separately depending on ground conditions throughout the year.
If the ceiling joists are not tied together this will show up as movement cracks.
It's not a structural issue, but it'll be hard to solve the problem cosmetically without digging out a section, screwing and taping the boards together well, and filling.

If the new and old parts are on different foundations they will move separately depending on ground conditions throughout the year.
If the ceiling joists are not tied together this will show up as movement cracks.
It's not a structural issue, but it'll be hard to solve the problem cosmetically without digging out a section, screwing and taping the boards together well, and filling.

Thanks for info, Yes I was thinking that it is going to be difficult as it seems that someone has tried a few times in the past. is it worth trying some flexible filler? I guess I could also use lining paper over it if needed..

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info, Yes I was thinking that it is going to be difficult as it seems that someone has tried a few times in the past. is it worth trying some flexible filler? I guess I could also use lining paper over it if needed..
Yes flexible filler would work well but only in conjunction with removing the differential movement at that point.
Otherwise it's like using sellotape to hold a door shut in a gale.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back