Ceiling joists not secured

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped the plasterboard from the flat-roofed ceiling of the downstairs kitchen and bathroom. The last joist, adjacent to the partition walls, in both rooms is not secured down. Obvs this doesn't seem right to me.

Am I correct in the last joust should sit about 2 inches from the adjacent parallel wall?

In other words, I don't screw this last joist to the wall but instead need to screw it down at it's end presumably using straps of some sort?

Sponsored Links
In theory, yes, but in reality if the wall is constructed properly it won't make any difference.
In fact, old council properties were all done like that.
I remember the masters saying that it prevents bouncing of the floor.
That's true, in fact if you think about the floor joists connected by noggings, once bolted to the walls keep it a lot more rigid.

Sponsored Links
In theory, yes, but in reality if the wall is constructed properly it won't make any difference.
In fact, old council properties were all done like that.
I remember the masters saying that it prevents bouncing of the floor.
That's true, in fact if you think about the floor joists connected by noggings, once bolted to the walls keep it a lot more rigid.
Thanks. Just seen some straps in Screwfix. Will probably go for these, used upside down.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-standard-jiffy-hanger-47-x-277mm-10-pack/25392

I've just had another look and I think the reason that they may not have screwed to the adjacent wall is that I think, it is built from PFA blocks. It's only a non-loadbearing internal partition wall. Using the straps may be a possibility but it looks as though it will be difficult getting the strap up and over the joist and down the other side, adjacent to the wall.

How does one affix to cinder blocks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back