Ceiling joists query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have been pulling the ceiling down in my ground floor kitchen and have come across something of a puzzle / concern. My house is a 75 year old - semi.

Essentially what I have in roughly the centre of my house is a sturdy ground floor dividing wall of concrete blocks that has been used to support a set of ceiling joists for the kitchen and a seperate set of ceiling joists for my sitting room. The two sets butt against each other side by side on top of this wall and are obviously held up in situ by the wall. It all seems solid enough to me, although they only seem tied in to the external wall but just seem to be sat (Though very firmly in place) on the internal dividing wall. I dont see a problem with this unless some buffoon decides to take the wall out without inspecting or supporting the ceiling first.

Question. Those of you in the know - is this actually an acceptable method of supporting joists etc? Can you see an BCO problems etc from this? Will I need to fix these joists in situ with something?

Rather than turn this into the longest post in history I have broken it into two seperate questions. They are both linked to the same initial problem but are distinctly different aspects. Thanks for any advice and please see my other post and advise if possible - Titled "Help with joist support problem"

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Not sure why you need BCO to check a new ceiling? I don't see a problem, other than making sure there are noggins nailed between them to stop any movement or twisting, although after 75 years in place, it's not very likely. ;)

No its not for the ceiling - BCO got involved due to the kitchen being gutted, re-wired and new rear exit fitted to the house - also due to removing old chimney breast on a party wall. They have seen I will need a new joist and will be making sure it is acceptable as part of the work.

Hope that clears it up a bit?

Thanx for tip re noggins. Most of the joists have some sort of X shaped noggin type thingies in situ already. I presume they are sufficient, as (Like you said) there has been no movement in 75 years.

Looks like it is OK then. Hope so.

Sponsored Links
is this actually an acceptable method of supporting joists
As common as a bucketful of common things with common juice poured over the top ... Don't worry about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back